• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New spinning rod

I'm looking for a spinning rod to use for bass and northerns. I need it to be VERY stiff for fishing cover. A longer butt would be a plus. Any suggestions?

I use a 6'6" medium heavy bps bionic blade for some of my plastics techniques (t-rigged worms and tubes with 3/16 or 1/8 ounce bullet fishing weedlines, docks, reeds). It's a nice rod with good sensitivity and has plenty of power to move big bass. I think you can get them for like 50 bucks at bass pro shops online. I got mine as part of a combo teamed with a quantum kinetic reel. It's a nice setup for around 100 bucks. You could also go with their extreme rods which are made of a higher quality graphite, i believe they are like 60 bucks a piece.

[This message has been edited by kt (edited 07-16-2003).]

I agree on Rapala for that price range... Best rod I've seen for the price. Not sure how durable they are yet, but they do have a 1 year warranty. I broke one of the first Rapala rods back when they came out, but I think it was most likely damaged before I got it. Just picked up another heavier Rapala flip'n stick. Seems like a great quality rod for the price. They are on sale now at Gander now for $30, down from $50. I would compare that to a $70+ rod. The other I'd look into would be St. Croix. They have one close to your price range - the Premier series. They make great rods. I'd consider stepping up to the Avid series if you go this route though.. I have both Avids and Premiers and the Avid is worth the extra bones. The warranty also goes up to lifetime on the Avid from 2 yr. on the premier. Other than that, I'd maybe take a look at the Gander series rods. They seem to be a good value. BassPro, Cabelas, and Galyans offer the same deal - house name brand rods that are IM6-IM8 and are very competitively priced (typically in the $60-$70 range).

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 07-16-2003).]

The BPS Bionic Blade hvy action is a VERY heavy rod. I started out using this spinning rod for bass before I could cast a baitcaster without the rats nest. Used it for everything in cover, has the backbone to handle 30# fireline and horse five pounders out of the pads.

[This message has been edited by Chris Haley (edited 07-21-2003).]

Another one for Rapala Sportsman. Best cheap rod I've bought. Found a 7' med./hvy at Fleet on sale for 20 or 30 bucks. Great rod for the money, but tough to find a MH action.