• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass in 6" of water

Yesterday Afternoon in the rain, I caught 6 largemouths in a half hour. Largest being 2 lbs. strange thing was, they were all in about 6" of water. The lake had been lowered about 4 feet for maintanance and the milfoil was all the way to the surface from the shore out to about 10 yards. I never fished over that dump before but I gave it a try. I had to bulge a spinnerbait right under the surface just to keep it out of the milfoil. I couldn't keep the bass off of it. I finally left when the rain and misquitos got to bad. Is it unusual for the bass to be so aggressive in the rain and in such shallow water?

On 6/29 I caught a 19.5" Largemouth in shallow water. I don't think it 6" but guessing about a foot to a foot and a half deep. Just nailed my spinner bait. IT was sunny though.

Sounds like you found the spot.

I was out this morning in a misty rain, and the bass were in shallow water. I end up with about 15 in a couple of hours. When the sun is out they have more of a tendancy to go deeper or seek shady spots.

I think that bass respond positively to rain. It defracts any light entering the water (like chop) and allows them to feel more secure in shallower water. Also, rain = runoff... runoff contains all kind of stuff that stimultes feeding throughout the foodchain...right up to larger predators like bass.