• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions On a Good Dock Rod, and Line

catchin'whopper

After the tourney this weekend I dropped some fish that would have helped immensely that did not get good hooks into, very frustrating indeed. I am at the point where I am looking for other people's input for what they consider a "good dock rod/reel/line" set up.

I am in the market for another dock rod, previous versions being 6 foot med/heavy, mid priced rods with medium sized and priced spinning reels. (Mid priced meaning roughly $50-$70 on each.) For line i have been all over the spectrum without finding the happy complement to the rod/reel outfit, using trilene xt and xl 10-14 lb test, tufline 30lb/~10lb diameter, fireline. I have yet to use spiderwire.

Currently I am looking at spending additional money for a higher quality reel in the Quantum Catalyst or Kinetic, hands down.

For a rod, I am thinking of sticking with a 6ft Med/Hvy for casting accuracy, but not sure on the model yet, i like to have backbone and a fast tip for hooksetting power and good skipping.

Lastly, line. I hate spending $20 on fishing line, but might need to. I have yet to try Spiderwire which goes for that price. I am thinking braid for the fact of seeing so many fish, big fish, wrapping themselves up only to be saved b/c of braid, knowing mono would have snapped, and also for the low stretch insuring more positive hooksets.

Soooo, with all that said, what are your Opinions on a Good Dock Rod, and Line?

Don't laugh!

My favorite dock rod is a Zebco spincaster. I believe it is the "Hawg" reel that you see in most every sporting goods store. I have it on an old Shimano pistol-grip Fightin' Rod, 5'6" with 20lb test line. I would not want to cast this rig all day long, but it has become a valuable part of my arsenal.

I can put my lure in many places I can't reach with my other rods. I can pitch in between docks and boats (or pontoons)and I can skip baits way underneath docks.

I have a lot of fun throwing this rig. The pistol-grip takes some getting used-to, but it is quite easy to control. I landed my biggest bass so far this year on it, a 5.2 lb.er of of Waconia. Again, it is not the most comfortable rig to cast all day, but it certainly has earned its place in my rod locker.

Regards,
Double

My designated "dock skippin'" rod is a BPS spinning combo with 8 lb test mono. The spinning outfit allows easier skipping and the 8 lb test is enough, as long as you don't horse 'em out of there. I have lost a few after the bass wraps arounds a post, cable or other. Rod is medium-heavy and the reel has 6 bearings. I do have a alternative spinning combo with 6 lb test. I also use the heavy duty flippin' stick.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

learn how to skip with a baitcaster. i use to types of rods for skipping. wide open dock and the fish are in front i use a gloomis imx 723 with a shimano symetry and 12# pline flourclear. since i learned how to skip with a baitcaster (last year) 99% of the time i will use a gloomis glx 783 with a team daiwa-x depending on the situation i use either p-line or 6-30 spiderwire. with a little practice and a daiwa-x you can skip anything without backlashes.

I carry two rods that I consider "dock" rods. One, is a 6 foot heavy action spinning rod (suitable for shooting pool) with a moderately large reel. I spin up 50lb. Spiderwire and crank the drag down until I can't turn it any more. I use this rod on docks that are mixed in with some cover - matted up weeds and crud like that. I also use it on lakes with heavily stained water. The second rod is much like Yaeger Guide described. 6 foot, medium heavy (medium would be fine as well) with 8 pound test. I like this for clear water docks or lakes with no trashy weeds under the docks. Just expect to break off a couple with this outfit.

Or, learn how to skip with a baitcaster. I don't have the patience and would contend that I can outskip baitcaster followers.

Get good pitching with a jig. Start with a half ounce or bigger to get the hang of it. The heavier the jig the easier it will be to pitch. After you have dialed it in work on getting that dude under the edge of them docks. I use 20lb xt and will get most active fish to bite. When the fish are not to be had anywhere else on the lake but under the docks and are spooky. My choice will be a 6ft med/hvy BPS and a large spooled spinning reel. The line is 14 lb xt. I used fire line for two years and the third year I had a lot of trouble busting off fish and went back to mono. Do not give a dock fish the oppurtunity to get anywhere other than out from under the structure. Crank down that drag and muscle them out. Some times they will wrap you up and have no choice, but you must not give them any movement. Sinko`s rock. Flip

MNBass2002,
i wish i was more talented like you and a select few other bass fisherman to use the baitcaster. i tried for a handful of outings using that and i moved into just pitching at the docks. i think my confidence, accuracy, and percentages lie in the spinning outfits though. I seemed to need an extremely well tuned reel teamed with a appropriate rod for the particular bait being thrown.

Ray...,
Your 2 rod outlook is a good one, it seems light line is the way to get them to bite sometimes. Also, you are the 3rd person i have heard or talked to mention 50lb spiderwire with heavy rod. What kind of rod/reel?

Flipn,
going off what i said above, i will pitch a jig to docks, actually that is how i started fishing docks and got really accurate with it using the baitcasters but the senkos,slugs, and light jigs (1/16oz with spidergrub) i use now make baitcasters tough for me. Baits like thosejust skip forever making the novice look like Roland! Ok bad reference, i am not the biggest Roland Martin follower. How about a FM Staff member? Skipping Senkos can make a novice's errant skips look like they were "Adam Johnson."

[This message has been edited by catchin'whopper (edited 07-02-2003).]

I have a BPS Hvy action spinning rod with a 35 series pinnacle, I use fireline in the 20# test and I think it's 8# diameter. Crank that drag all the way down so when you lay into them you don't slip at all. I can't even remember the last fish I dropped with that rig. Even hoisted a 2 1/2 lber over a chain once, I knew I was going to get hit as soon as the tube skipped over that chain.

Not a bad suggestion either Chris, i have a few of the BPS Extreme rod series, a heavy action one with the fireline sounds convincing.

This is great feedback i appreciate it, my frustrations from dropped fish are bound to improve with your guys' input.

(BTW, not that it was brought up, all due respect goes to Adam Johnson from previous post, just having fun on the site!)

I use some mongo Pinnacle on some no-name, heavy action rod that I bought 15 years ago out of a junk bin at a local bait shop. I keep hoping it will break as I believe I deserve another, but no such luck. If you're using braided line, rod sensitivity is not much of an issue. Cast iron pipe would be sensitive with a piece of braided tied to the end of it.

One piece of advice on reels, don't break the bank on your reel. Their lifespan is relatively short when you combine braided line, a heavy action rod, drag tightened with a pliers, and a fish 20 feet away (or a dock pole that you thought was a fish). I've had a couple that locked up like a 90 year old woman after a swiss cheese binge upon hookset. And, they were broke beyond repair.

Interesting topic Catchin'.
This wouldn't have anything to do with this past weekend!! hah ha

My rod of choice it a 6 foot m/mh spinner cast. I currently use a BPS extreme and I think it works great. The reel is a Quantum energy, the white one that they stop making. I use the new stealth line at 20 lb. I think the braided line is the way to go around docks that you aer actually going to throw deep under. This past weekend on Waconia and then again last night I saw two prime examples of why I was glad I had that braid on. The fish just wrapped around the posts and I had to just keep pressure on it until it freed itself. Mono I am pretty positive would have snapped.
A backup setup that I would use in the clearer water or docks with less dump under them would be a 6'6 BPS extreme m/mh with a Quantum Catalyst reel. Then about 8 lb line. this is a great setup and the reel is the best I have used on a spinner cast, Even better than Deadbolt, Diawa, etc...
Just my two cents.

Also, Catchin' don't you ever sleep??
A

[This message has been edited by Alphid (edited 07-03-2003).]

Catchin, look at CastAway rods, they have a tennessee handle (xhs60th) this is a 6 foot mag-hvy rod, which allows you to place the reel a litte forward on the handle, giving a easy to hand grip for skipping. Match it with a Quantum Kinetic size 30 (large spool) and power pro line, 20 pound and it has worked for me the past couple of years. The Quantum reels have no bail springs to break, it's all mags. and they have a good back reel feature, as the drag should be locked down a tight as you can get it.
Good luck...

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

get a rod somewhere between 6'6" and 7' with a medium-heavy action. Then take the money to actually buy a quality baitcast reel such as a shimano curado or a team diawa-x 103hva. Get ready for some frustration and backlashes and start to practice skipping with a 3/8 ounce jig and craw. After fishing with this setup for about 2 and 1/2 years I can put my jig anywhere I want around docks using whatever line I desire, and I am MUCH more accurate than someone using a spinning setup. I only go to a spinning rod in ultra-clear water(