• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6 pounders

If you ever have a chance to fish up north or in relaively unfished lakes in the cities those would be the best bets. Every body talks about lakes like tonka and prior and the big bass they hold. That is true,and if you fish them do so during the week! But if you can get on nice little weedy lakes that are usually under 200 acres those might be the best bets. i got two fish over 4lb's this weekend out of a lake up north that is connected to a lake with an access, and is fairly tough to access, so the fish are almost untouched. The biggest fish we've gotten out of there is 6.5, and i am confident it holds 8lb+ fish. I can think of a few lakes in the cities that are similar, but don't really want to give these up. Do a little researching as far as dnr lakefinder reports, and word of mouth, also fishing lakes yourself gives you an idea. Think small lakes with healthy weed growth that aren't known hotspots. These lakes hold some big fish. Good luck

If I had to bet, I'd say Minnetonka will give up the next state record LM bass. Plenty of fish over 6 lbs. in that lake for sure..

I agree with that the little weedy lakes and ponds that are untouched have the best potetial. It is just that most people dont have the guts to try new water that they never see anyone else fishing. Just give em a try. It is true in my area, the smallest most secluded lakes, and even those not secluded, produce by far the most fish over 4#.

KOZ,

As far as metro.
Spring/Fall Tonka.

Smallies - Mille Lacs has brutes or the Mississippi in the fall.

Otherwise I agree with the un tapped lakes of the north. Little gems are all over. This is a great fishing state.

I haven't caught a 6lb bass in a few years now, so I think I'm due smile.gif

Not just in the north are there little gems, its amazing how many tiny little lakes hold big old bass right here in the metro. You have to put up with poor accesses and motor restrictions, but its worth it when you find little hotspots.

I agree that some of those smaller, less known lakes put out some big fish. And they could be anywhere in the state. Even ponds could hold record bass in this state.

Part of the reason Minnetonka, Prior, etc. are so popular is because they are two of the relatively few lakes in the area big enough (landing and lake size wise) to hold tournaments. Therefor they become popular with tournament anglers and people can clearly see how good of a fishery it is based on these tournament anglers. I'm sure there are a lot of smaller lakes that don't get as much pressure that hold big bass.

I don't remember the exact story, but there was a 10 lb. class bass caught in O'Dowd (thanks for the correction Jo). I know it never was weighed - I think it was eaten before they had a chance to weigh it.

6 lbs. is pretty do-able in this area if you put in your time. You don't often hear of 7 lb. and above fish though... That is what I would like to find smile.gif The last one I heard of was from a friend quite awhile ago and came out of a small lake in the north that doesn't get a lot of pressure.

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 07-08-2003).]

There is a lake in Chanhassen (sp.) that holds above state records. The only problem is, it is a C&R lake (good for us though). So if you ever catch one of those confirmed above state records, how do you get it officially measured without possesing the fish?

Fishingaddict, that fish was caught on O'Dowd. And yes, it was eaten by a guy that used to work for the same company I do.

Apparently, they used the head to get a guesstament on the size.

Jo

Six pounders in Mn are rare indeed. Out of all the results on classic bass there has been only 3 six pounders weighed in this year. So if I was looking to catch a six pounder I would forget all popular tournament lakes....even Tonka. Have not seen a six pounder out of there yet this year. I would consider Tonka and especially Prior lake in the fall though. Even Leech lake did not even yeild one 5 pounder at the Pro-am.
Some of those lakes up by leech have some big bass. There was 3 six pounders weighed in on a small tourney I fished on Wabedo. Another guy weighed in a 7.5 on Pokegama.

If I was to seek a six pounder I would fish small lakes with heavy cover/vegitation. Places the average fisherman does not like to fish. I would fish a scum frog....very slowly.

In the July 2nd tourney I was in on Tonka there were 4 bass over 5lbs and the big bass was 6lb 6oz. There are big ones in Tonka but they are tough to find.

Ottertail County has numerous good bass lakes. The DNR netted or shocked a monster bass out of Swan Lake 2 years ago. I got the word direct from the DNR office in Fergus, and they said it would have eclipsed the state record. They said Swan has some very good quality.
My big fish last year was 6lbs 2 oz on Clitherall Lake. I think Ottertail County has over 1,000 lakes, and a ton of them are good bass lakes. Not enough time, and too much water up there. I love it!

As far as big bass go, let's not forget the sourthern half of the state. It holds the current state record of 8pounds 12.75ounces taken out of Tetonka and before that held the state record as well. With warmer average water temps and more fertile water it has the northern half of the state beat as far as odds go for producing the next state record bass.

Here's a 6 pounder caught Sunday morning out of Owasso with the ski boats flying by.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/vwp?.dir=/Fishing&.src=ph&.dnm=6+LB+Owasso+8.10.03.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/lst%3 f%26.dir=/Fishing%26.src=ph%26.view=t

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

no we don't !!!!!!! we spent a week on on roberts the last week of july. between my son and i we caught 18 bass. one he caught was right at the 6 lb. mark. several fours and couple of threes and then some smaller ones. THEY ALL GOT TURNED LOOSE!! ( ok so some of my friends were [PoorWordUsage]ed! they'll get over it. ) so not all iowans keep everything they catch! del

caught one that had to have been at least 6 this weekend. 22"er. beauty of a fish caught her on a dead sucker minnow fished weightless on the edge of some lily pads

------------------
"...And that person shall be known as the Tree Inspector"