• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing in my back yard

Forestlaker

I don't have to go to the lake to go fishing after last nights rain I can just cast in my back yard. 5 inches just west of Forest Lake.
Any thoughts on what the heavy rains might do to the fishing? Higher water levels and lots of runoff carrying stuff into the lakes.

Forestlaker,

In my experiences it takes a day or after big all day storms for the fish to settle down and begin eating again. The longer the nice weather the better the bite gets. I think since the bass eat like mad before a storm they are full and content for a day or two after. I don't think it takes longer then that. Every thing needs to eat. Often the water is a little more murky after hard rains from the run off so I'd try brighter colors and noisier lures to attract fish. None of this is written in stone just my experiences.

I would think today and maybe tomorrow could be a tougher bite.

Fish will often feed before the storm, as Frogs mentioned, so that makes it a little more difficult for fishing following a storm front. Bass are feeding machines though and they will be ready for another round of feeding shortly. Directly after a storm downsize your baits and slow down your presentation. Even an inactive "full" bass will take an easy meal, but proper presentation becomes more critical.

I'd rather fish a more stable weather pattern or prior to the front if I had my choice, but there are some advantages if you adapt. Storms (high winds, rain run-off, etc) can turn on a new bite. The bass will be keying on worms washed down the banks, frogs and crawfish that were washed out of hiding, bugs washed out of standing weeds, baitfish blown into the windy side of the lake, etc. It does present an opportunity if you can adapt. I would key on the windy bank from the previous storm. Baitfish, etc. will remain in those areas for a little while after the storm and that is likely where you will find your most active fish. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 06-25-2003).]

I would be real patient at this fishing. Repetitively work each spot that may hold a bass. My understanding is that the shallow bass will hold real close to cover during these times and not stray far for a while. Of course the next few days can hold a different answer. If there are any mudlines where runoff or streams come in to a lake, work them with the noisiest baits you have. The clearer water near mudlines tend to produce for a reason I cannot really explain....

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

Whatever effect it had was little or short lived. The fishing was very good in the metro today... Here is one of many from today (20.5").

fbd29203.jpg

[This message has been edited by fishnAddict (edited 06-27-2003).]

Nice fish addict. Your right I was on Forest lake today. The water clarity went from about 5 feet to 2 feet from the rain and wind but the fish didn't care I caught 8 nice fish 14-18 inches between noon and 200.