• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep water bass

Hey guys. I've been fishing bass for the better part of 10 years know and fished strickly top water frogs and had great success. The main lake I like to fish is getting more and more pressure from buddies of mine when I'm out of town during the week and I think the bass are catching on to the frogs. I want to start some deep water techniques and was wondering what works for you. I do fish some other lakes but this one has the pigs in it.

How deep is the water and what's the bottom like? I would suggest some texas and carolina rigged worms in the 7 inch variety. If the bottom is really muddy or weedy, it can get frustrating but it's worth it. Also, try some heavier spinnerbaits fished a little slower to get down to em. Spinnerbaits will be more weed resistant and therefore less frustrating. One worm that I like for bass is the Zoom super Fluke in white. They can't get enough of em, where I fish at least. The best advice i can give is experiment if you have the time. Break the rules and try things you normally wouldn't. As the summer gets hotter, the bass will get lazier so you have to fish baits that will stay in their strike zones for longer(i.e. worms and jigs). hope this has helped.

Disclaimer--> These tactics worked very well for me when I lived in Tennessee. I have found that they will work well here as well. after all, a bass is a bass is a bass right?

Tennesseean

Deep water bassin takes years of knowledge and experience to master. I'm on my way but its too much work to give out secrets. My best advise is to start with a jig worm. 1/8 oz gopher tacke mushroom head and a 4 to 6 inch worm. Work the outside weed lines. In a year to 2 you'll be able to tell the difference between sunfish and bass bites. Then just start to experiment with different techniques.

------------------
Shut up and fish!

Thanks for your help guys. Granny and I went this weekend and used a black and blue power craw with a split shot and pulled in three over 17 inches one 18 & 1/2. That was after the topwater bite quit. Caught two on spinner baits too. keep on fishin!!

Frogs, get ahold of some bullet style slip sinkers, eighth and quarter ounce. I like to use the mister twister worm keeper hooks in the 4/0 size. The craw`s are always a good choice and black and blue is always a good color. Try some power worms and the new bunjee worms. The kEY to deep weed edges is ALWAYS LOCATION! Look for inside and outside turns. The only way to learn were they live is time on the water or a hot tip. Put your time in and you will become a better all around bass man. Stick em! Flip

Ebass,

I do drop-shot in the pads and reeds and in the deeper water (humps, breaks, etc.). Although I don't fish much deep water (deeper than 10'). Not a lot of luck yet; kind of like when I learned the Carolina-rig years ago. This walleye opener I drop-shotted and boated one 12" 'eye. It really gives me a nice feeling of the bottom structure and contour.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

The first rig I learned how to fish deep was a carolina rig. These are great for actually covering water with plastic and it allows a worm to float or fall slowly. I would also recomend fishing deep crankbaits like the DT16. These are great for when bass suspend off the edges on sunny days and on clear lakes.

Granny,

I have a place I want to check out too. I was thinking of either going back to the honey hole or trying this new lake. If you want to go let me know. I was thinking saturday morning at about 5:30 again. then I have to go watch a funeral or I mean wedding at 1:00. The DNR post on this lake are very good but they are 4 years old quite a few 12-15 inches four years ago so they should be really nice now......

Flipnripem,

I have some of those bullet style slip sinkers that your talking about. Does this sinker allow your bait to float suspended on your first drag of the worm or craw? Is that when you get most of your strikes? Thanks for your info. and good luck on the lake.

Frogs, Most of the time the sinker will stay with bait all the way down. If you like the seperation you can peg the sinker up the line a bit. I also do this when I am fliping and pitching in heavy cover. This will keep the weight from seperating so the bait drops through the heavy cover. I just jam the end of a tooth pick in the top of the slip sinker and bust it off. You can also use a bobber stop. When do you not want to catch more fish? Flip

Tenneseean, I am going to spend quite a bit of time in Tennesee this year, 2 weeks in July and a few weeks later in the fall. Any suggestions on what lakes to go to for some good Bassin'? My friend lives on Watts Bar lake, is that pretty good for bass?

Thanks

Cyb