• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cottonwood Seed - Now is the time

Hotspotter

Thought I'd share a quick indicator of fast bass/panfish action in the small southern MN lakes I fish.

My grandfather told me when the cottonwoods start blowing their seeds everywhere, drop everything and start hitting the shallows and developing weedlines for bass and panfish. He said the really fast action lasts only about a week or two, so make the most of it.

Taking his advice I headed out last night with my brother and we C&R'd about 15 bass each. The largest was 20 1/2", and most ran a chunky two pounds. They hit just about anything we threw. This time of year has meant phenomenal fishing for me in the past.

Was wondering if any of you had any information to share on "natural indicators" of fish/wildlife activity? These were the ways that old timers like my grandpa and others found everything from morels to bass, and I'm interested in at least preserving some of those for my kids. Thanks for sharing.

Joel

yup, I've always heard the same thing regarding the cottonwood seeds... seems to be right around the best time for most species..