• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SnapBack Plastics too good to be true? YES

Coach Dog

I opened opened up my soft plastics storage boxes last night and was totally shocked! My new Strike King 3X soft plastics have melted and formed one big mess. I am getting ready for a 10 day fishing trip in a couple weeks and was going to go through my plastics tackle to see what I need to order. Earlier in the year I purchased some Strike King 3x grubs and some Terminator Snap Back Jerk Baits. I've been out fishing a few times this year, but I really do not recall the weather being hot enough to melt these. I guess I did leave my tackle bag in my trunk for an afternoon, so that is probably what did it. Anyway, my grubs are in one container and the jerk baits are in another, both of them melted, and actually molded, into a rectangular form the shape of the container. What a friggin' mess!!! It melted and leaked all over into my containers, and will over time ruin many of my other plastics. I have not even used these this year yet, but what really pi$$es me off is that they brag that they are to last so much longer and are nearly indestructable, but I wasn't even able get one tied on before it was ruined.
I don't know...maybe I should be extremely careful on storing them in warm temps. Has anyone else had such problems? Any recommendations on what I should do? Should I call customer service and complain? I'm a big fan of Strike King and Terminator, but highly doubt I will ever buy these types of plastics again.
One last thing: Does anyone know a good way to clean up the sticky, oily mess out of my Planos storage boxes?

I would call and complain. I would be ticked to. My buddy bought some and found out that you can't use the Florida screw in weights either. It keeps popping it out.

I don't know what to use to clean it up. Maybe Dawn dish soap, (cuts greese outa the way?)

i know they specify that the normal boxes for storage don't work, or you are not supposed to store them with other normal plastic baits.

none the less, i think writing a letter and complaining is a sure fire way to get some free tackle out of it, might as well do it! thanks for letting us know this occurrence, i have some too and will watch where they get stored as well.

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to get ahold of Strike King and Terminator. If I get some free stuff cool, if not, no biggie. I don't have the receipt or proof of purchase but I'd like to at least know my displeasure of their product. Don't get me wrong, the rest of their product lines are MONEY! Hopefully, this will give others a warning so they don't have to learn the hard way like me. Next time I buy them, I'll try to keep them in the refrigerator or the cooler! I guess I should have paid better attention to the packaging. -Coach Dog

I guess that money would have been better spent on Hula Poppers, eh? Wow, that sucks man. I guess should package those things with a cookie cutter in the shape of a tubeworm. I almost bought some of those at Cabella's too. I had them in my basket and I put them back. I guess I'll stick with Zooms. Thanks for the warning!

Fish On!

Iron Man

Yes, you need to keep them away from the rest of the other plastics. I store mine in the top compartment of a soft tackle bag. In the original bag. I have been in the sun for hours and some very warm weather. Plus they sit in my garage (no ventalation) and I have not had a problem. Like Basspastor said chemical reaction and not heat.

Good Luck
Chev

I have some of the Strike King worms and jerk baits. I keep of my plastics in the orginal bags, sorted by color and style within freezer bags. All my plastics then sit in a small nylon gym bags and I leave the zipper open when storing them.

It can be a pain to sort through, but I just pull out my 2 or 3 favorite styles of worms and jerk baits when I start fishing. I rarely sort beyond that.

Now, are those 3X and Terminator products that much better, than say a Zoom, Power Bait or a Slug-Go?

Keep these plastics together and in the pouch you bought them in. Fortunatly I did not learn as hard a way as you. They will also react with boat carpet too and probably many other surfaces as well. It's not that they melted but started a chemical reaction. Keep them in the original pouch and you will be fine.

I got some 3X jerkbaits and tried them this past week. Problem is, they float -- does'nt work for a jerkbait unless you mess with internal weights and stuff. Re-read the package-- yep, it say's they float. I did try it as a topwater, had a couple blow up on it, but did not hook. I guess I'll be careful to keep them in they're same pack.

we bought some also. only tried them as a floating jerk bait so far. can't wait to try them on a carolina rig. they are very boyant! i fish mostly chommpers and power baits. these have a heavy garlic scent which the fish seem to love. like many other new products there is a time and a place for them. i too keep all of my plastics in the bag they came in. will remember the carpet problem though! del

coach where do you keep your plastic lure container at? if in a garage then yes
they will melt together since we had temps
80's i know i have a generic dare devile
lastyear it was hot out it made the paint soft.. my neighbor who runs a bait shop told me to put my plastic worms seperate
in a baggie you use for sandwiches i know where your coming from, so far the temps have been 80 to 82 lets hope the don't go higher to near 90.. it is a nightmare to see something like that a little hint
keep your plastic worms in the house..
with the ac on then you won't have to run into that mess again. hope you land a nice one

EagleClaw38,
I keep all my plastics in Plano 3600's and have a BassPro Shops soft side bag which holds 4 of the containers. This really works out great and is very convenient, except for these new-age plastics of course. I'll have to keep them in their respective bags and store them in the pockets.
I found it interesting to know that the new jerk baits float "too much." I really like the bouancy of the Power jerk shads and the flukes. It sounds like these new ones will require weights to get them submerged under water. I'm sure they will be awesome on Carolina Rigs.
I still haven't cleaned out my Planos. I am trying to wait until I get my place to myself because opening them things will stink up my whole apartment. My roommate can't stand the garlic/powerbait smell (I actually have a secret obsession w/ it, pretty sad huh?).

Ebass and CatchinWhopper,
I sent Terminator an email on my complaints 2 days ago-still have not gotten a reply. I guess there are other companies out there who make titanium baits. I am going to try to get ahold of Strike King today.

Coach Dog

EagleClaw,
By the way, I keep my tackle in a closet. Except for the afternoon I left my plastics in my trunk. This is when the incident occurred I'm sure. I think it was in the low 80's that day. DANG!

Coach Dog,

You'd think they would do something. I hope they were on sale. They are spendy for 6 baits per package.

I've been reading this thread and I to agree that they would be great for carolina rigs. Drag that over an underwater point and see what happens.

You guys need to read the fine print. "Do not mix with other plastics". My bro-in-law had the same bad experience but after he already contacted Strike King with his complaint he noticed that the packaging DOES mention the reaction to other plastics. SK sent him a bunch of free XXX replacements anyway just because they take care of their customers. ...Yes, even us ignorrant ones!

------------------
...if I only had more time off!...
Dawg

I bought some of these new plastics and gave them the test.

They last forever but they are to hard to rig properly and I actually like a bait that tears up on the hook set..not just stretch.

In my opinion they are a waste of money.

Coach Dog,
good you wrote a letter, i am sure they will be getting back to you, no sweat. already someone said they still got a free packages back!

Will be trying the lizards this weekend on the carolina rig actually. up in alexandria le homme dieu chain, can't wait, except for the weather.

Good thread.
Catchin'

So I wrote both Strike King and Terminator an email on my displeasure. Yesterday Terminator called me and they are going to send me some replacements along w/ some samples. So that is cool. They mentioned on how some of the early ones they made were the result of a bad batch and ended up getting on the store shelves. They said they have improved their formula, but still should be kept separate. They were real good about it. Strike King has not gotten back to me yet but I expect they will.
The other night, I looked at a package of the Strike King baits and it said not to store w/ other baits etc. But here's the problem: It was in fine print on the back bottom of the package. Come on! Like I'm supposed to read that? They should do a better job making it visible. Oh well.

I agree. It's fishing tackle, not a legal document. You shouldn't have to read the fine print. If anything it should be in big bold letters somewhere. Seems like a shameless ploy to me. I have a feeling those companies are going to lose some customers over this. They need to remember, the fisherman is always right! Except maybe when they're telling stories about that 6 1/2 pound bass they caught last night while fishing alone. wink.gif

Thanks Iron Man. The fisherman is always right indeed. They were up front and honest about what happened so I will definitely give them another chance. Who am I kidding? I am a sucker for free sh*t. It's almost pathetic.

I had the same problem with the Terminator Snapback tubes...They dissolved in my box and after some rudimentary investigation I discovered that the chemical composition is different from traditional plastics and when even stored in the same area they will not only break down but also harden traditional plastics!!! I contacted Terminator and they willingly replaced the Terminator lures that I lost. Not a total loss. Give them a call 800 944 4766

Coach Dog...glad to hear they took care of you...and good to see this thread so others become aware. We read the fine print when these first came out, and make it a point to inform every buyer to keep them separate. they've come out with some special storage boxes just for this type of plastic now, too.

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Bronze-
Terminator and Strike King ended up sending me a whole bunch of plastics that replaced their's and the ones ruined, plus many extra. Between the 2 companies, I must have gotten about 25 packages of different plastics, no kidding! Makes a guy feel all warm inside.

Coach Dog

Coach: No kidding? They actually replaced the stuff from other companies? I was happy that they replaced the Term stuff. Did you call or write...Writing usually gets a better response. I didn't feel like writing. Rather spend time on the water using up the other thousand lures that are just waiting to be tossed into trees, under rocks, into toothy mouthes...

Bronze,
I wrote each company an email and they replaced whatever I asked for. I described to them what was damaged, and they replaced the plastics w/ similar products that they carry. Strike King sent me the most. Not all the replacements were the 3X lures, some were from their normal line (grubs, craws, tubes, etc.). I was pleased of what they did for me.
Coach Dog