• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pleasure Craft Operator Card

This must have been discussed before, but I can't find anything on it. I understand that everyone needs this card. Does this mean people from the States also??? Or is this just Canadians??? I haven't fished Canada for years and was going to go this year. Hope this don't keep me home. Thanks for the info.

Google the term - pleasure craft operator card and start reading. Here is some text that I copied for you to start (and end?)

Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to non-residents?

The Regulations apply to non-residents if:

•They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 44 consecutive days or,

•They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).

The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days. Please note that a proof of residence will be required on board at all times.

When we go to a remote resort that provides us with boats, we have have to fill out a rental boat safety checklist.

It takes about 3 minutes and is just part of the paperwork stuff at the resort along with stuff like signing an agreement to pay for any damages to the boats if we opt out of a cheap insurance policy.

Boating regs here are governed by the DNR. It is the ministry of transport in Canada. Look on their HSOforum for the specifics. A similar boater safety certificate from your home state satisfies the Canadian requirements. You can take the MN DNR boater safety certificate training & test on the DNR HSOforum. I have been operating boats for 40 years and I'm glad I took the on-line course. There is a ton of good information and should be a requirement for all boaters.