• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who all fishes money tournements in here?

Just looking to see who fishes tourneys. If I remember right(not often) we have as follows..

Adam J.
Ross T.
Smallie
MJR
Flipnrip
Basspastor
mnbass

Sorry If I forgot....please speak up and You will be on the list. Thanks.
Cyberbass

[This message has been edited by Mr. Lee (edited 06-02-2003).]

I really enjoy tourny fishing, but not having a boat or much money is kind of a problem. I've fished one money tourny this year, Fishers of Men TT MN division at Balsam Lake, and I was only able to do that because my partner sprung for the entry fee. Hopefully I'll find my way into another tourny or two before the seasons done.

I fish in a 20 boat club, its not big money but its fun. One day would like to try the Dennys or MNpro/am and go fishing with the big boys and see how I do :-)

my brother "Alphid" and i are in a 12 man club as well fishing for BASS. while i have not joined any money tourneys yet, our club has a $5 pay in for each tourney and it goes to teh "First place Boat" that works together as a team to have the most weight. So while there is emphasis on taking individual first place, we also incorporate a learning and enjoyable experience for someone that is newer to fishing or not doing as well. 1st place gets 60%, 2nd get 30%, 3rd entry fee back. Since it is low money it is just enough to make it work and pay for gas payment to boater for the day.

I fish Dennys Wed nighters, this is my third year of more seriously fishing for bass and I think I am getting worse. I pretty much just fish Tonka and I tell you what that lake frustrates me from time to time. My last outing I ended up doing the only thing that seemed to work for me, anchored at big island slamming miller lites enjoying the scenery. This whole spawn-post spawn time of the year has gotten the best of me again.

Mr. Lee how did you do in the Durango? Any tips on how to catch a tonka bass over 12" at this time of the year?

Club tourneys and the like are an excellent place to start...some of the local pros still fish in clubs....although there is a few clubs that are really on paper only just so they can go to state. I fished in the Prior lake Hooksetters club for 4 years and learned a heck of alot. If you are thinking of joining a club make sure it is a draw format....that way you will get to fish with everyone.

MJR..We got 3rd. 27lbs 14ozs. Jim M. had 28 even and Pat Martin won it all with 28lbs 8ozs. If we could have only got rid of that 2 1/2 pounder we could have had a threepeat.

We also got second at the Minnetonka Classic with 31.12lbs, but that Chris Luedke whipped us all with 33.94 lbs. I even hear he broke off a six pounder.

As far as catching bigger bass. I can't reveal all my secrets!!! No...I would say slow down...light plastics and light line help for those lethargic fish....but there are also some deep water fish that will still wack a jig. Last but not least ...fish where the sunnies are....big bass like to pick them off.

I do fish in club tourneys and an occassional weekend one if it fits the schedule. Have fished in Gabby's down in the Mankato area. Love to fish in tourneys, not for the money, but for the learning experience. If we happen to fill a heavy bag great. Our club is a bunch of guys that love to fish. I will say that we have some pretty good hooks in our club. Most of our tournaments are only 2.5 to 3 hours and it takes quality weight to win.
I was suppose to fish tonite, but I just got back from work. So I am heading out soon to go check out the weigh-in.

The wed nighters are June 11th & 25th July 2nd & 16th Aug 13 & 20 Sept 3 & 17. Denny Nelson puts it together and there is a HSOforum with more info or here is Dennys contact info.

DennysSuper30
5425 Kellogg Avenue
Edina, MN 55424

Cell Phone
612-201-2406

Home Phone
952-922-4724

Email
[email protected]

mnbass,

Nope...it is not a trick question.

I have only been on this site about a month and I am just curious how many guys in here fish tourneys.

Have you been up to Leech yet? If so how are things looking?

Mnbass,

Yea I know how Leech can get. When I was in the club we launched out of Walker. I had a 16ft Cajun then and I ran up to Leech river bay. The wind picked up all day...I ended up filling the boat with water and got water in the engine. That lake can hurt you.

It is no secret but I think it is Minnesota bay near Walker. That is a good bay...it has rice and pads. Plus there is that small bay near the point that is full of rice. Also the madencain at the mouth and the bog on the other side hold bass.

Good luck up there.....oh wait no luck needed?

Mr. Lee
i have not been up to leech yet this year i am leaving friday. i don't know if you have fished leech but it great lake. the only thing is the last 2 times the pro/ams have been their the wind did not blow so can we get lucky for a third time? if it blows i (everyone) will be hurting all my good spots are across the lake. so if you have any good info for the walker side i will take it.LOL! its funny how tight lipped people get when tourney time comes around i was on leech site and nothing or just the blanket statement fish the rice. but this is when the fun starts the one on one competition i love it!!!!!

I fished the Minnetonka Classic for the first time this year finished 12th so at least got money back. I am looking to more tournament fishing in the future. Have one other on the radar for sure this year. Good job on the 2nd place finish at the classic Mr Lee.

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 06-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 06-07-2003).]

I hate to admit it since this year has been pretty s****y on the winning side. I also know what's it's like to head out at 60mph in the morning on Leech and spear a couple waves and swamp the ranger on the way back in the afternoon.

If you're fishing Leech this weekend, check out Steamboat lake. It only takes nine minutes from steamboat bay to steamboat lake at full throttle. Lots of bass and not many guy's think of it. If you're going to give it a try, launch at steamboat lake and go through to steamboat bay looking for dead heads. I haven't run into them often, but you'd hate to find one at 60mph.

Clubs are a great place to start!! I am currently a member of the Prior Lake Hooksetters and fish the Extream Team Series. If you are looking to get into a club this is a great one. I joined last year and learned alot. I had fished the old Silverado for 3 years as well as many of the local tournaments and I learned from these guys. We have a wide variety of guys some seasoned some newbies...all great guys. Fishing Waconia as a club tomorrow morning and the big ones are going, should be fun!!!

------------------
Tight Lines
Bob

hey_bob,
Are you fishing the extream tournament on Clearwater in a couple weeks? Navigator and I are fishing that one.

How many teams do you have on the Prior lake club and what day/night does that normally meet?

fishnAddict,
I am planning on fishing in the Extream on Clearwater on the 15th. Sounds like it has been a little tough up there. I am planning on hitting the lake a couple times between then and now. How has the pre-fishing been going for you?

As for the club, It is the Prior Lake Hooksetters and we meet the first Monday on every month at Capt. Jacks on Prior Lake. We currently have about 20 members or so in the club. (I don't know the official count) It is a bunch of pretty good guys and some really good hooks!

------------------
Tight Lines
Bob

Dan,
How do you find the bass fishing in MN compared to California? I realize they grow'em much bigger in Cali, but how about quantity, fishing pressure, etc.?

Oh, and welcome to the greatest fishing site in the country.

I fish a few $ tournies. MN Pro Bass Tour (not this year though) and a few other invitationals and some local stuff too just for fun.

Thank You for having me guys. I just really love the Competitive side of fishing. I started fishing competitive 18 years ago to just enhance my knowledge and stay up with the latest techniques. I have fished with and agianst some of the finest bass pros to come out of California, Robert Lee, Mark Tyler. Know and fish agianst guys like Mike Reynolds, Ish Monroe, Dee Thomas, Mark Rizk, and Gary Dobyns just to name a few....

I think that our fishing is probably as tough (pressure wise) as what you folks experience. If a local Lake or special "honey hole" gets recognition, you return to find everyone on it. You find alot of guys not telling out as much info.

I feel that the edge (in California, & maybe everywhere?) is understanding how each specie of bass (Kentucky Spotted, Smallmouth, Northern strain, and Florida strain) react to natural (weather and water levels) and un-natural (boat trafic, chemical weed kills and polution).

Sorry for going on....

I have not had the pleasure of fishing an event in Minnesota yet. So, I could not compare the 2 states. I do know that your Bass-fishing season has regulations (time retraints do too DNR and ice), so unless you go south, your bass fishing has to take a siesta for the winter months. In our climate we are able to fish year round. In the winter months, however, we have to fish from 40' to 100' to cash a check at times.

I feel that winter fishing deep as well as night fishing in the summer has helped my skill as an angler.

I hope I answered a few of your questions.

And yes, this site is quite impressive! Thank You for welcoming me,
Dan