• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I was out purchasing a bike the other day and I was looking at these bikes witht the huge fat tires and I started to think...I wonder how they go thru slick mud or even snow? Well talking with the guys at the shop they claim that a person would have no problem using these bikes in say a muddy field while dragging a deer or even on the ice pulling a fishhouse. Have any of you used these bikes or have one and what do you think on the possibility of pulling a deer out of the woods or a muddy field with one of these?

I haven't used one, but they are built specifically for snow by Surly. My uncle has one and they have a group that goes on rides all winter long. I just can't imagine trying to pull a deer with a bike though, even if it was on a sled... you would have to have Chuck Norris legs.

I've got a few 29" bikes and a pugsley winter bike and I've pulled sleds and a trailer out for ice fishing, that works fine. A more traditional tire sized bike with studded tires is better than a fat bike for this IMO. Once the snow is deep enough to get any fat bike benefit, the sled is too big of drag to pull. In moderate conditions, pulling through snow is possible.

There is absolutely no way on earth you'll pull a decent sized deer out of anything with any human powered bike. Maybe across a frozen smooth lake of ice, but not on any sort of trail, irregardless of grooming or trail condition. You'll bend the frame and go no-where fast.

challenge accepted!!!! haha Thanks for the input! I originaly was thinking of pulling the deer out on a childs cart that you pull behind the bike or even a sled to reduce friction. More research will be done on this before I would ever buy one but I do like the thought of getting deep in the woods silently...the early ice use intrigues my lazyness also!!

Not sure how it would let you get deep into the woods silently. A bike tire breaking sticks or rustling through dry leaves would likely make as much noise as your feet would.

You'd also need a path cleared at least as wide as the handle bars of the bike. That way you're not catching branches and shrubs on the handle bars which would make noise.

If you want to test out the theory just take a normal bike and see how much weight you can pull with it through your backyard. To drag a deer out of the thick woods I'm guessing you'll need to be able to pull a bare minimum of 200 pounds. If you can't pull 200 pounds through a mowed yard I doubt you'll be able to pull even a 100 pound deer through thick woods and snow with a large tired bike. Now add in any sort of a hill and I'd think you'd have a VERY hard go of it.

I have gotten to ride a couple different models of the fat bikes. They act more as a snow shoe for a bike, wide tires and low air pressure make riding over and through places a normal bike would get stuck seem easy. As for pulling a sled or a deer, if the sled was light enough, yes. As for pulling a deer, you would have to be Superman, or on a steep downhill with a little tiny deer grin

I am not an dumbarse that thinks I can just go through the woods silently and anywhere but it would be quiter then an ATV motor and it can get me farther back on trails then I care to walk with all my hunting equipment and thinking of getting the deer out. With all this said I think that I will just go with my original thought and use my current bike and modify a kid cart by strengthening the frame and removing the top...or leave the top on and use as a ground blind on rainy days!! haha I could even just sit the deer in the back and drive it out like its enjoying a ride and if I find I can't get the deer out with the bike/cart well then it will be a longer drag then I will want but if the deer is down who cares! Thanks for all the replies and good riding!!!