• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I drove past west end of Lac qui Parle lake today. Thousands of whitefronts and other waterfowl. I counted 18 different species and several bald eagles. It seems to me the spring migration of specks through our area has exploded in the last 10-15 years. I have killed a total of one during my 35+ years hunting in this area. It would sure be nice to see a few flocks of these in the fall. Any specific reason they only come through in the spring????

We had one swim up to our boat late last fall on LOTW. It had been shot, and was still alive but wasn't going to last much longer.

Really felt like I should have picked the poor guy up and dispatched him, but with no hunting gear along I wasn't too sure what the DNR might do if they found us at the landing with a dead goose in our boat.

He actually let us pick him out of the water , like he was really looking to people for help. It was kinda eerie. Even though I've taken the lives of all kinds of birds in my life, I just couldn't bring myself to kill this poor little guy.

And sure enough, the DNR was at the landing when we pulled in that evening.

I've had a few friends up here in NW MN that have seen and taken a couple specks over the last few years.

They do a fly over in the fall for the most part. Occasionally you hear of them shot but it is pretty rare. Same thing with the dakotas. You see boat loads in the Spring and very few in the fall. Canada or their wintering grounds is your best bet at getting in to them.

Saw a large group yesterday sitting ion a flooded corn stubble field South of Redwood Falls. The most I have seen around here, probably a couple hundred along with a bunch of ducks and some swans. I have only shot one and it was one of 3 that flew over us. Landed in the cattails and I searched for a hour with the dog and never came up with it. Very disapointed to say the least!

We for the first time we able to extend our season in SW Idaho til Feb. 25. We have a substantial number of birds that start arriving in late January on their northerly migration.

We were able to put the wood to a few.

1012376_10203065291771399_1545312717_n.j

1725472_10203109609599317_410246991_n.jp

1010079_10203026272155933_32085019_n.jpg

1795234_10203026272235935_786427169_o.jp

Brother shot a loner this fall. Probably never happen again. But then again scotters were also in the bag this past fall also. When's opening weekend? grin

Yea i remember that i heard the sob while heading out on the lake.. buddy and i shoot 2 that came in around mankato area then another buddy shot one that came in with a flock a Canada's.

Same story for me...I have hunted in Minnesota for 35 years now and have shot exactly one Speck... down by Madison. Oh, and one White Winged Surf Scoter too, but that was by Fergus Falls, really needed the ID book for that one!

We've actually seen and shot more and more specs over the last 5 years in Lac in the fall. They typically show up with the push of birds we get after the MEA weekend full moon and will stay for a couple of weeks. Our clients have shot 4 in the last 5 years which isn't a ton but is up from the 0 I saw shot in Lac in the first 30 years of my life. I know the other guide service in the area has picked up a few in the fall as well.

full-31263-44853-joew:spec.jpg

Here is one from this fall and it was a dandy!

the way we perpare and cook our ducks and geese makes them taste awesome!...hense the term flying prime rib.

Its all in how you prepare and cook them. People who dont like the taste of waterfowl are doing something wrong in the kitchen....just my 2 cents.

the way we perpare and cook our ducks and geese makes them taste awesome!...hense the term flying prime rib.

Its all in how you prepare and cook them. People who dont like the taste of waterfowl are doing something wrong in the kitchen....just my 2 cents.

cooking them past rare would be that thing