• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

METRO AREA LAKE FISHING TIPS

CANOPY SAM

Interesting discussion around the tournament topic! Now back to things that actually matter.....

I've managed to catch a few decent fish on some of the metro lakes, but I'm kinda shy about trying to get through all the millfoil.
I know there are fish in the soup, but it looks like an incredible hassle to try and fish. I guess I'm just not much on fishing really slow.

Would a few of you folks mind sharing a couple of tips on how to effectively fish in this dense vegetation? Even when your gently fishing something vertically through the soup don't you still end up with this dump all over your lures? And do the bass and pike, or walleyes still pick up baits with some of the "foil" clinging to them?

Please someone tell me how to "foil the foil". HarHarHar. Pretty good huh?

CanopySam,

Quickly I would say two things. One would be to rip a rattle trap through the edges of the milfoil. The second, and most productive, is to use a flippin' stick. Create a hole in the milfoil, drop a texas or drop shot rig down to the bottom. Repeat until you boat too many fish to keep on fishing....

I used to be concerned about weeds fowling my lures too. Not any more. If your retrieving lure such as rapala's or similar and snag some weeds, just give it a strong tug to rid of some weeds. Yes you'll still have some that just won't come off. Don't quit working the lure just yet. Bass will strike a weed-fowled lure. Keep working the lure while trying to rid of some more weeds off until you think the lure is too close to you. Ignore your weed-fowled lure yet avoid dragging a clump of weed the size of your electric trolling motor.

If you flipping and/or jigging through mats and get snagged, don't try pulling it free, jiggle/twitch your lure for for a bit. Doing this you atracting fish to your lure. Could be a bass. Do this only as long as you think fish might be watching your lure wiggle. Pull free but don't reel in yet. Keep working angain until you think your lures too close. Again, yes bass will strike a snag lure. Bass think it's food trying to get away that got trapped/tangled in the weeds, easy meal.

There's a way to everything, being patient.

Good luck.

I know a lot of guys fish heavy jigs & plastic worms w/ heavy sinkers to penetrate the foil. It works, but it's not my favorite kind of fishing & you end up pulling lots of slop off your rig. I prefer to fish the deep outside edge or else a weightless plastic bait rigged texas style in the slop. You can slide it over the milfoil mats & drop it into the open pockets. When I hit an open pocket I slow things down & give it a few twitches. I did well on a Mpls. lake today throwing weightless Berkley Pulse Worms & 6" Producto Worms which are a little bulkier. The heavier baits are easier to cast weightless with a baitcaster & sink very slowly. It was almost like fishing a surface bait. That worked well on the shallow milfoil, but on deeper milfoil you have to find a way to get down in there, because the fish are there. Casting accuracy can be very important. Sometimes you just have to make good casts to the pockets, work the bait slowly & more often than not, peel a few weeds from your bait before you cast again. But you'll catch fish. Vern

Whatt,

I have a boring job at times.

Well, from my experience I like to use a med heavy fast action rod 6'6 or bigger with some tuff braided line (25 or 30) then I use a mono leader that's a little lighter (like 20)Baitcast reel of course.

On the foil try to go slow and have a rhythm. Like pump, wait, pump wait or simular. Don't be afraid to mix it up. You made that bass strike, so you did well!!

(tip) If you can weight down the back end of the lure so the hooks are ready to go but it still floats you're in business.

They miss often in the foil cause it's pretty thick. Also, wait about a second right after the big hit (I know easier said than done) Then set the hook hard!

In the pads I try to be more erratic and have some pauses on the clearings. I know this might sound stupid, but think like a frog! I try to control my scum frog to act as natural or wounded as possible. So, I kinda get the little froggie half way on the pad a jiggle it. Mix it up. Gotta see what they want.

I think either it missed your frog, or you set the hook a tad too quick. Happens to me all the time to.

You should go back. It still might be there. I hope this helps you get that pig!!

Good luck
EBass (I'm just your average bass lover)

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 05-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by EBass (edited 05-29-2003).]

Most of the time the big one gets away. But that's fishing for you.

You'll get her this weekend. Good luck.

Whatt's your email address? I have another tip for you.

I know I've lost some really big dogs on frogs. A couple of years ago I lost two different giants in a row as a front moved in. The first fish was 6 easy and the second was 4-5lb. I have also caught many on frogs including a 6.

I have had some good success ripping spinnerbaits through the cabbage as well. You need to just make sure you have the right rod/line combo to be able to get your tackle back.

My best results in the metro lake has been to fish weightless finesse worms and drop in to the holes and breaks in the weeds.

Canopy.....there are very few places on Prior that have weed mats that you can't find obvious holes in. Most of the weeds are heavy but have visible pockets and gaps.

For finding bass, the best approach is to try inside the weedline (0-4 feet) first because these are going to be the active hungry fish. Then try the outside edge of the weeds (8-14 feet) and as a last resort...make a salad.

One word of advice for those scumfrog blowups that you cannot connect on is to throw a jig to the spot where the bass missed the frog. You will often times get that fish to take the jig. I always have a jig rod handy when throwing a scum frog.

[This message has been edited by basguy31 (edited 05-30-2003).]