• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GMC Acadia in snow?

I'm looking at used GMC Acadia's because it would serve the family well for transportation. However I'm not at all experianced with it's ability to move around in snow on the lake and likley pull a medium sized wheelhouse. I've only driven 4WD's on the lake and not an AWD. Specifically about a 07-09 GMC Acadia AWD. Anyone have any first hand experiance one or can shed some on it's ability to go through snow. I know it's dependant upon the amount of snow and even the tires will make a big difference but what are your thoughts overall?

Thank you in advance

The lambda platform is a great vehicle, we have one in the family as well. I think awd is sometimes better than 4wd but also has it's place. I would read up on exactly how the awd system works. In my s10 platform it was awd up 30mph then the fronts would kick out leaving it in 2wd, on my gmt360 platform it kicks in when the opposit wheel looses traction. If you know how it's going to react ahead of time it helps to predict your path of travel, also as stated and something I firmly believe in, good tires.

Buddy came up to my place with his AWD tahoe and it was worthless in deep snow. Will not even get into the pain that was getting it un-stuck. I guess it is OK for normal winter driving if that is what you are looking for. He calls it his soccer mom truck.

AWD or 4WD if you floor that gas peddle over and over again it will dig you down deeper and deeper, making getting out harder and harder. acroman, it sounds like no body knew how to drive. There's other gears too you know...

AWD or 4WD if you floor that gas peddle over and over again it will dig you down deeper and deeper, making getting out harder and harder. acroman, it sounds like no body knew how to drive. There's other gears too you know...

Do you really believe the full time AWD system in a Tahoe can compare with the traction of a traditional 4WD LOW System? The only people I have ever heard say things like that are people with the AWD system and seem to some how have to justify it for some reason. AWD is a good system in most situations but it is NOT a 4WD low.

4wd low doesn't give you better ability to get through snow than high. Its better for pulling someone out of the ditch because of the lower gear ratio but to say that is better than Awd is a stretch when strictly talking snow performance.

With 4wd you have no control over how much power is sent to each wheel. Some may spin like crazy while others may not spin at all unless you have a locking rear diff. I know guys with solid rear axle 2wd trucks that were almost unstoppable because of the posi rear end.

Awd can be quite capable if its a smart system that switches power to wheels that are not freely spinning.

There are guys on LOW with Subaru's that go all over the place. They run into issues with ground clearance though. I think that would be the biggest factor with awd vehicles because they typically are lower than a typical 4wd.

So, what is it about an AWD system that makes it not work as well as a traditional 4WD system?

It is basically like 4wd high which means wheel(s) need to slip (loose traction) before the other wheel(s) kick in. There are other differences on how power is transferred between the wheels etc. Not a big thing in 95% of situations but that delay can make a difference. I am not slamming AWD in fact I think they are by far the best system for a vast majority of people but for serious off roading or extreme conditions 4WD low with a locking diff. will out proform and AWD system.

It is basically like 4wd high which means wheel(s) need to slip (loose traction) before the other wheel(s) kick in. There are other differences on how power is transferred between the wheels etc. Not a big thing in 95% of situations but that delay can make a difference. I am not slamming AWD in fact I think they are by far the best system for a vast majority of people but for serious off roading or extreme conditions 4WD low with a locking diff. will out proform and AWD system.

I dont think you understand how any of this works.

4 WD high does not work at all like an AWD system. The front wheels do not have to slip. The power is always diverted by a set ratio front to rear. In typical 4wd systems if one of the front wheels spins it will keep spinning like crazy shifting no power to the other front wheel. You can test this on dry pavement by locking on to 4wd then making some sharp turns. You can make the turns without it hopping squeeling and chattering all over the place because of this.

Old school 4wd this wasn't the case.

i like our 09 Acadia int he snow but pulling a wheelhouse through snow???... I still use my Suburban. If you are pulling to say REd and taking roads out to a plowed spot then you should be fine but I would not go BAJA across the lake with it...

You are completely correct. I made a bad comparison. I am inserting foot in mouth as I type.

The point I was trying to make was between a "traditional" 4X4 system with a locking transfer case and "locking differential" in this case and the AWD system used on the GMC Denali. I have seen it when a Denali had one rear wheel into a whole and loose traction and the front wheels would not even engage to help pull it out. Does this happen a lot? probably not but it is one reason serious off roaders prefer a traditional 4X4 system as no matter what happens you always have all 4 wheels pulling/pushing you at all time. Terrible for road driving I agree but that is why you can disengage the transfer case and go into 2WD.

Serious off roaders don't use anything we typically drive on the street unless its a jeep wrangler rubicon.

What I am guessing happened with the denali was stabilitrack and traction control playing tricks on itself. Turn the traction control off and I'm sure it would have operated more normally.

Having said all that a denali wouldn't be my first choice in offroading and I own one.