• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mono vs braided

Magic Stick

Adam is right. It all depends on what you're trying to do.

I do like to have braided line for the main line then tie on a mono leader. Best of both worlds.

But I did get some P-line (florocarbon) for my cranking rod. I like the fact that it sinks, cause mono floats.

My .02

Thanks a lot Adam. You have a very good point. I like to fish heavily weeded areas and throw worms in the pockets. The water clarity is clear, so maybe 14# flourocarbon line would be the ticket to catch these fish and also pulling the bass throught the thick weeds. Should I even go with a stonger line than that?
Thanks a bunch!!

I think it depends on the situation. In heavy cover or dark water, I don't think it matters what line you use. In clear water or if the fish are spooky, then it probably does make a difference.

For me, if using mono gets me a couple extra bites that I wouldn't have got with a braid, then I would rather use mono. I use mono about 90%+ of the time and only use braid in very percise situations. I don't know if it is the visibility or what, that is just what I find to work best.

Good luck and tight lines!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I also fish some heavy cover.(more lilypads than open water). I have a heck of a time hauling bass out of it. I hook quite a few but I lose alot because of all the structure. I've never broken a line on it though. If you don't break lines, then would moving up to a heavier line really help that much? Just wondering

For fishing mono or flourocarbon in heavy weeds, I too would go with at least 17lb. You really need that extra strength in case they wrap-up on you.

For REALLY thick weeds or lilly pads, that is when I like braided line. The high strength, no stetch and thin diameter really helps to winch those big ones out of the thick stuff. The thin line will also actually cut through the weeds making it hard for the fish to wrap around anything. For braided line, I would fish nothing less than 30 lb and I use 50 to 80 lb in most cases.

Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com