• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are platforms illegal?

I heard some guys won a tournement(on Minnetoka I think) using some kind of platform to see in the water better. Like the guys use shooting carp on the river.

I was think this would be a good idea but I also heard that they were banned. I don't know if the fishermen were banned or they banned the platforms. I looked in the fishing regulations about this but could not find anything about it.

Does anybody know if and or why they were banned and if it is illegal?

From my understanding if it is not against state law, which I don't believe it is and it's not specifically mentioned in tournament rules and I never have seen it be than it would have to be permissable and maybe not a bad idea. Getting higher up off the water can definitely help you sight fish better.

Platforms are not illegal, but they may be against the rules depending on what tournament it is.

There are exceptions (as always) the water patrol or CO's may determine your boat is unsafe, or may cause damage to people or property. They may make you take it down, or fine you.

Some tournaments say you can have a platform, but it can only be so high, some say platforms are fine, some say no platforms. It all depends on the situation.

Good luck! Only 8 more days to the real opener!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

MJR,

Yes you are correct. I knew the platforms would be banned,in fact I was surprised that we could still use them last year. Most of the excuses to ban them are pretty lame...the only one that has merit is the safety issue. For that reason alone I will accept the ban on them...it was just a matter of time before everyone banned them anyway.

However the only issue I have about the whole thing is that you cannot use them during prefishing. The only other rule to apply to pre-fishing is the times you can fish. You can even use an underwater camera or live bait during prefishing.

The only logical reason behind the prefishing ban is to keep us from winning again. But hey how many guys can say they caused the tournements to rewrite the rule book?

Overall though I think it was a good thing. Pretty soon everybody would have a platform and be fishing the same stuff. Look at what happened to Jim M. He won a bunch of tourney out there cause he found a new way to catch them...but then people followed his everymove and caught on to what he was doing. Now he can't even fish a spot without others checking what he was fishing after he leaves.

Wouldn't you think that the bass are going to be in a little deeper water this year than the last couple due to the water being quite a bit warmer? I have never really done real well in the spring catching them so I really do not know and from what I have seen you seem to be able to catch them better than quite a few in the spring.

Last year after the Durango tourney I was launching the boat to go fishing and Capras were landing their boat, and I asked them how they did in the tourney and they said "not real well the same guys won this year as last and they were using the platform agian, we should have known" They seemed pretty dissapointed and I am pretty sure they as well as many others would have been using a platform this year.

Good Luck on your threepeat

Steve, to think of something like that was a great idea, as it paid off for you. Your right that it's good that it's done because look how many more people would have done it this year.

There is still a few tricks a guy can do to have and advantage that you as well as I know to do.

People would have done it this year you can whip me twice but three time you could have guarnteed more of this style.

I look forward to seeing you down there agin this year.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

MJR,

Yea the Capras called me a few names...all in fun...at least to me...but they didn't just sit back... in the classic old Ted was fishing atop a stepladder. I am sure most bass will have completed spawning....I just hope those big females are not biting out deep then. Cause when they do...I have no chance.

Cory,

Hey good to see you down at Okiboji this year. I will talk to you next week. If you need a place to stay..I have room at my house.

For those that do not know Cory...let me tell you ...he is ahell of a fisherman. Last year He took like 5th or 6th place in the Durango with just one day of pre-fishing...and that was 5 days earlier. And he lives in Alex and has barely been on Tonka. Remember his name cause you will see it again.

Steve, thanks for the great compliment it puts a smile on my face. I feel honored just too cah a check down there the only two tournamnets that I have fished down there.

Last year we took 10th place and I was down there over opening weekend.

The year before was a real mind boggler for me and my partner. Just off a whim we decided to fish the Durango tourney in 2001 with both of us only being on the lake 1 each in our life. We never pre-fished we just went fishing. We only had one fish in four hours of fishing. We managed to fill our bag in get respectable 16th place finish was a honor for us.

Again thank you for the offer to be able to stay at your place but I got plans to stay with a buddy on Minnewashta.

I will offer you the same if you come up to Alex I will find you and Jon a place to stay.

Just got Married last weekend so the boats up for sale. Actually getting a differnt boat.

If you know anyone 1996 461vs Ranger 1996 Mercury 175 with lots of goodies.

Thanks Steve look forward to hearing from you . Hopefully all will go well for the both of us down there this year. Hell I can't even sleep already thining about this great week coming up!!

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work