• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Topwater Question

The single best topwater day I've have ever had was at the 2000 WI fishing openner. There is no doubt that in the right conditions prespawn bass will go hard on topwater. I got my biggest bass at the WI openner this year on top. I would say at a absolute minimum you need water temps in the high 40's and preferably in the mid fifties to low 60's.

I would say there is no preferred early season lure. Buzzbaits, dog-walkers, poppers, spitters, prop baits, even floating raps jiggled on top can be deadly. My theory, throw em all. Eventually you will learn which produce best in which conditions.

Over the past couple of years I’ve basically become addicted to topwater Bass fishing. I mostly focus on the mid to late season using mainly Scum Frogs & poppers. Two questions:

1. What’s the earliest you can start fishing topwater?

2. What’s the preferred topwater lure of choice in the early season.

Thanks.

To me there is never a time NOT to throw topwater. I have nailed bass from opener to ice-up using mainly buzzbaits but also spooks, poppers and wobblers.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail
N.P.A.A. # 841