• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigs and pig suggestions

kt

Jigs can be a really good bait for big fish. I don't use jigs a ton, however, when i do use them i like strike king pro model or premier elite jigs. The colors i usually opt for are watermelon, black and blue, or something in a craw pattern. For trailers, I usually use berkley's power frog jig trailers or various sizes of zoom chunks. Craws are another option for a trailer. The size of the jig will depend on the rate of fall you want and how dense the cover is, also depth of the water can play a role. I use anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigs with 3/8 oz being my most used. One thing to remember when useing jigs, especially when using them in weed beds, is not to make long casts with them because the line will lay over the weeds making presentation difficult. Short pitches work best. Another thing that i do with my jigs is to remove some of the bristles in the weedguard and fan the remainder out. This should help get a better hookset into the fish. I'm not a jig expert but some of this info should give you a good start.

good luck,

kt

I like the Triple Rattle Back jigs. Jigs brands seem to be a personal preference and style one fishes them. Buy a few different brands and styles and remember which ones work for you. Colors that work good are brown, pumpkin green, and black and blue. I like Lake Fork trailers the best. Trailers seem to be just as important as the jig. Hope this might help out.
bf

Dan L. What lake was this on? What kind of weights did they have for how many fish? and did they say bass jigs, jig worms, or just jigs?

I was in Wisconsin for the bass apener and I did not do that well. When I got off the lake there was a tournament going on with quite a few nice fish. They said they were using jigs. I have not used much in the way of jigs for bass fishing.
What would you recommend for a jig and other trailers? Also what colors and specific companies do you use. Thanks

dan fishing jigs is one time i really like braided lines. i too like the black and blue and craw colors. i use power craws, and chunks for trailers. i agree to thin the bristles and i clip them just above the hook to help in hook sets. del

I have different colors that work better on different lakes, but the ole stand by has to be black and blue. I will also use a plastic trailer such as Berkley power craws, but also can't go wrong with the original Uncle Josh pork!

If you don't have alot of confidence in jig fishing my suggestion to you would be that leave all your ohter tackle out of the boat so you force yourself to learn.

By my standars day in day out you can't find another lure that is so versaitle. The bonus is you catch bigger than average size fish.

There's a lot of differnt bass lures on the market that catch fish, but for my money I will always have the boat loaded with differnt sizes shapes, and skirt color combinations.

I recently started fishing with the New All-Terrain Jigs wich are out of Minnesota here.

Check out All-Terrain tackle.com they have all there jigs listed on-line. What I like so much about these Jigs is they have a great Mustad Ultra Point hook on am wiht a good brush guard. The key thing is the eye lite for tying is molde into the jig so it minimizes weeds hooking up. They are a great stand up jig.

I prefer 3/8oz to 1/2 for fishing weed lines unless its dead calm go to 1/4oz.

For trailers I use alot of Zoom super chunks and Yum chunks which hold up better on the jig. Black, Black-Blue, and Green Pumpkin are my favorite colors.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work