• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin Bass Opener

catchin'whopper

Any of you guys getting out to our neighbor's next door to go Bass Fishing in Wisconsin? I will be up at Shell Lake with my brother Alphid fishing possibly both days. Maybe Balsam, Long, Trade, Wood, Deer too on Sunday, all located in Burnett or Polk County.

Can't wait, it has been a long long winter!

With the weather being what it is, I might find it awfully hard not to go there with Cyberfish. We have done Wapo the last three years running and conditions this year are looking like they were 3 years ago when the fishing was amazing. Probably will do Wapo if I go and maybe Balsaam.

I will be at BALSAM on Sat. Feel free to stop by and say "hi" I will be fishing with a 12 yr old kid in an Alumacraft Navigator boat with a 50 merc on it, silver in color. Can't wait to hook up that first crankbait!

Good Luck smile.gif

Chev

Exudedude,
You prefishing of a tourny on bone, correct?
Fun lake with some big bass and the muskies are even bigger. this weekend has been in my thoughts for some time now. Can't wait.

Yes Alphid, I am fishing the Team Bass circut again this year... that is our first lake. I have to admit, I have only fished it a few times and am yet to be as impressed as you are... I hate fishing tournaments on muskie lakes in the spring. All the bass are a tad bit spooked!

I will be fishing BOne this weekend also to prefish, also doing Team Bass. Never fished it before, but I know some spots from a friend that has a cabin on the lake. The weather should be warm at least. I can't wait to feel the bite on a soft plastic, the unforgettable tink. see ya out there.
bf

Execdude,
Our tounry wasn't the biggest success either. We had some trouble finding the bass on the day of the tourny also. Tough cold front went through. Look at the East side and Se side of the lake. On the east side there is a stream running in that we had some luck with. on the SE side there is a little docking area of the main lake, the map will show it better. Bass come in here to spawn and can be very easy pickings.

Muskies are big though.

Holy Cow,

Lots of guys fishing the Team Bass tournaments. I am TOO! smile.gif Although I am skipping the Bone lake tourney.

Also my main tournament partner is the only junior partner listed on the roster! Looking forward to meeting some of the FM guys. See ya at Balsam.

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

Just found out that I will not be there this weekend. My fishing partner has finals all weekend. Won't be there until the friday before the tourny. Sorry i will miss everyone. see everyone on the 10th. bf

was at shell today, saturday, water temps in main lake area started at 48 degrees, some bays around the islands ended up around 53 but that is all for the report. for our boat, only a walleye was caught while bass fishing. the other boat we went with managed one smallie but that was a 13 incher. did not see much actioni n the shallows except small perch following up baits on the way to the boat, but nothing else really going. we concentrated on deppths from shallows to 20 feet, using jerk baits, drop shot, football jigs, senkos, deep and shallow cranks, even top water. nothing elicited any strikes making it more frustrating for the bass opener. i thinkt the smallies will start going within a week though, as the water warms some more.

if anyone has anything to add to your experience this week or weekend, it is much appreciated!

Catchin'

Exude,

Yes, this is my first year on the Team Bass Trail. Looking forward to meeting some FM people while I'm there. Was on Balsam yesterday and didn't see any FM stickers on trucks or trailers.

Hey could you tell me how the tourneys work?
Is it a shotgun start? Where do the weigh ins usually occcur? Any other info I need to know? Just curious being this is the first time I will fish a Team Bass Tourney.

Thanks
Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

"The Bass go Non-Stop-O at WAPO!"
that used to be the saying but after yesterday I'm thinking of changing it too:

The Pike go Non-Stop-O at WAPO!

We did get some small bass and a few that were legal with a 15.5" being the biggest, but the real story was the pike. This is the fourth year in a row I've openned at wapo and in those openners pike were an exception and 4 years ago a rare catch. You would get many more bass than pike, but this year we got as many or more pike than bass.

I'm not complaining as that none cut my line and a fish ripping into a cranckbait is always a blast. I think a crankbait strike is my all time favorite kind of hit, even more so than topwaters. BTW I got the biggest bass on a topwater, but it was the only hit we had on one.

Welcome to Team Bass Chev.

Weigh in is usually at the same area as take off. If it's not at the ramp, Dale selects a area that will fit all the boats. Glenn should have the directions for Bone posted tonight or tomorrow.

You take off in the order your team is drawn in the morning of the T. Remember your number, because you'll need it at weigh in.

We fished Wappo yesterday, and I agree with you as to what stage the fish are in. We need some stable weather.

Jo

JoJo how did you do at Wapo? I was keeping my eye out for a Guy/Gal in a Crestliner but didn't notice you. We were in a Red Lund and I was the guy in the nearly blaze orange top with the multicolored hood. With that get up I can be seen from a long ways away.

We mostly fished the N. end of Bear Trap by the channel and the far N. end of Wapo. Did you run into the pike like us? Cyberfish lost a Baby Minus 1 to a line cutter and had another get cut but he got that one back.

Our pattern was simple, if it didn't rattle, they didn't want it. All we could catch on plastics was pike. Right before dark the bass wanted a rattletrap at high speeds with super rips, that was fun.

[This message has been edited by Basspastor (edited 05-04-2003).]

Sorry we missed you Basspastor.

We decided early that all we would use were hard baits. Rattle traps and stick baits brought in 2 16 inch bass, a few short ones and a lot of northerns. The bass were hitting short. You almost had to bang them in the beak to get them to take it.

By noon the bass bite dropped off and the snakes hit anything that moved.

Jo

Jo
We didn't get on the water until after noon. Figures the bite was best before that. We got ours on the exact same things. I also think by the time we got north some of the good looking stuff had probably been picked over a few times.

I was really surprized with the weather that more fish were not shallow and more active.

Chevy-

Weighins are almost always at 3pm and plastoff at 7am... And we draw numbers..I would expect about 20 boats at Bone next weekend. Look me up and introduce yourself, I have the White Triton TR186.

I was out on Bone yesturday in the wind.. only saw 1 or may 2 other boats stupid enough to be there also.

water temp 52 degrees... and it was a VERY TOUGH BITE!