• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shimano Compre rods

gspman

Looking for decent spinning and casting rods in the $80-$90 range. Anybody use or have an opinion on the Compre rods both spinning and casting??? They seem like good rods to me. Any other rods in the $80-$90 range that you recommend? What about the Shimano Clarus rods?

It is hard to beat the waranty on the Shimano's, they are a great rod for the money. As for other rods in the $80-90 range, Fenwick makes a great rod thru that price range. Believe it or not, the best luck I've had with the Fenwick's has been with the Eagle GT models, they are in the $50-60 range. I like the feel and the action better than the more expensite models like the Techna AV's, exc. Quantum's new PT models are also a good rod for the money, though slightly more expensive, in the $90-100 range. The PT's are extremely sensitive and offer a good range of actions in both spinning and casting models.

------------------
J.P.S.

This is kind of a difficult question for me, I was stuck on getting a couple of shimano rods , either clarus or thr compre' and then I had a chance to look at the Quantum PT tour edition rods, they are in the $149.00 range. They are a beauty of a rod, and a friend of mine fishes Fenwicks Tech-AV, but when we were checking on the PT's, he said they were very comparable to AV (knows his sh*t) and you'll save about 50-60 $'s. And then to even make it a little tougher, I was at GM on Sunday and Quantum also has out the basic Tour Edition $79.00 a little cheaper than the PT series but heck of a rod, the difference is they both have the power hump handle style but the PT is flat on both sides of the cork, while the standard Tour Edt. is completley round but seems to be a great rod also. It really does become confusing for the mid-range angler or the guy with six kids (that's me) to pick a couple of rods to do the job, meaning if I spend $59-65 on the shimano's, what will it differ from the $79.00 Tour Edition, am I missing something? And then we go to the PT series for $149.00, but that is simply a great rod,enough said! So in all reallity I am starting to belive which ever rod in that range a guy chooses will will be more than sufficiant, and then we also throw in the Eagle GT which I believe rounds out the mid range choice catagory, In all, they are all pretty **** close to one another! To mke it easy this year, I might just try to buy one of each toss a reel on them and fish, and make the ultimate decision when the season is over. Just 2 cents from a guy with 1(LOL). "GOOD LUCK TO ALL"

------------------
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit! [email protected]

The shimano Compre uses Fugi hardloy guides and has a slighly higher mod graphite than the Clarus which uses Aluminum Oxide guides.. The Compre will have Fuji threw blank reel seat on the casting rod wich is also an advantage.

I think the compre is a great rod for the money, Whats nice, is you will never have to buy that rod again!. The compre serises as well as the Clarus Series are lifetime over the counter warrenty. It breaks and bring it back to any shimano Dealer, should be no questions asked! A huge plus for a rod under $100

Good luck picking a rod!