• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Pro Line--What do you think?

wormburner

I have question, I have been checking this line out my last couple times I've been in the store and it seems like pretty good stuff, I like the 20/6 lb. has a great diameter. Lets hear the pros and cons or just your own opinion? Thanks.

------------------
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit! [email protected]

I used power-pro line on all of my reels last year. Never had any problem with it. The best superline I have used. More limp than fireline and whiplash. The only thing is it does not stretch at all. The fish can feel you just as good as you can feel then. So if you like to feel the fish and dont care if they can feel you then get it.
bf

Is this stuff as sensitve as they say, the gus that I have talked to love it and they say you can pull a Mack truck uot of the ditch with it. What test do you recomend, I've thought about picking up the 20/6, good choice?

That's what I'm using. One thing, and ths isn't too scientific considering the control and test groups - but my son (4) & I were fishing smallies on the Missy a couple weekends ago, and I was using flouro and he was using 20/6 power pro, and my hits were about 3 to 1. Now, I was casting further into the zone, and working my casts more, but just a thought - maybe the flouro had a better action drifting in current, and I don't know if visibility affecting bite is a load of bullfeathers or not, but I think I'm gonna uni-splice a flouro leader onto his reel.

Keep clippers handy - thet stuff doesn't bite off with human teeth.

Peace and Fishes,

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Wormburner, I use PP on every reel. I dont believe that fish know what line is,I have not seen any reduction in fish since switching a couple of years ago.I do use a mono leader for topwaters because you need a little stretch to make the bait work properly. Other than that I use fluoro when I need to work deeper because PP floats and fluoro sinks. I use 6/20 on spinning, but I used to use 8/30 on my baitcasters,but switched to 12/50 because of break offs on the cast when throwing spinnerbaits. Sorry so long here, short answer is defintely use the Power Pro you wont be sorry. Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply, why does it break on the cast with a spinnerbait? I was thinking on leaving one rod with trilene xt just for the reason of not having to tie on a leader, bad idea?

Wormburner, I use Power Pro for all by braid fishing, mainly on the jig/worm stick,flipping stick,spinner bait stick and Carolina stick. On the jig/worm stick I use a fluoro. leader and I think by bite percentage has increased. I'm still fishing mono and most of my other sticks with the exception of my worm rod, which is all fluorocarbon. Good luck...

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

wormburner, I'm not sure why the breakoffs, I would imagine using a heavy stick and the no stretch in the line for shock absortion is the reason. A guy at Thorne told me to go to the 50# to stop the problem, he had the same issue. Only another 2 months and I'll get to find out if it works :-)

I thought the stuff was indestructable, but I know everything must have it's breaking point, I was going to try 20-6 but maybe it's best to rig one with the 50, and you'll still have a decent diameter. That is why this Forum is so good, you can find out what you need from people that have already experianced it! Thanks

------------------
Buy a trailer,help support my fishing habit! [email protected]

The problem with the line breaking is a result of the small diameter to line strength. The Line literaly cuts through itself on the backlash. Seeing that PP floats you can most likely retrieve your bait by finding the line trail on the surface. Going to the heavier line may reduce the breakage, but then you have to look for signs of fraying or cutting which can still occur.

I love PP and the new 8# is great for ice fishing and ultra lights. I talked with a rep at a seminar at Galyan's and he showed me a test comparison between Stealth ad PP. The electron microscopic photos showed that Stealth fared better on the shear tests. It also showed that Stealth has less deformities when it is new. The tests were not done by an independent lab but I did buy 50# Stealth and I am willing to give it a try. I have had problems when I use 20# PP but I solved it by tying on a short leader of 15 or 25# Seagar florocarbon.