• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crayfish for smallies?

I've always heard that the best bait for smallmouth bass is the crayfish. But when ever I put it on the hook after cutting the claws off it seems almost dead. Could someone please help?

*Im using these crayfish on the same lake I catch them.

Thanks all.

------------------
Walleye Slayer
"Leave nothing to fate"

Live crayfish work great for smallmouth, largemouth, even walleyes!

For starters, leave the claws on. The fish don't mind them, and they are not that hard to handle even with claws. You may get pinched a little, but it's no big deal.

Also, use smaller crayfish. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 2 inch body length or so. Larger crayfish just don't get eaten as much as smaller crayfish.

Hook them in the tail if you are fishing them with a Lindy type rig and slow troll them. Hook them between the eyes if you want to free-line them around potential hideouts. Finally, hook them in the back, where the tail meets with the body if you fish them under a float.

Keep trying, it's hard for a smallie to resist his favorite food! Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I echo Adam's thoughts on this one (I don't know if I have ever disagreed with Adam on anything...). Anyway, the only thing that I would add is to use younger crayfish (smaller), much like what Adam said. The shells are softer, making it easier to inserts the hook. I believe that the younger crayfish have a lighter color shell (I would have to check on that to make sure), and smallies will recognize the difference due to past experiences with harder shelled crayfish.

God Bless,
Judd Yaeger

Yaeger Guides
www.yaegerweb.com/guide

[This message has been edited by Yaeger Guide (edited 04-07-2003).]

I pretty much have the same things to say as these guys. I have my best success with a stationary lindy rig, letting them cral around a little. However, if there are a lot of rocks for them to get caught up in then a slip bobber works great. ><>
deadeye

They work for most of the predatory fish, and seem pretty tough when Ive used them. Definitlry more resiliant then live frogs. Ive only used craws once, and didn't get bit, but am going to cpature some this summer. What, is the best type of area to fish them in, sand, mud, rock, weeds?

If you are casting a rig with crayfish, just use a large walleye style bait hook (like a #2 or 4 baitholder hook) and add just enough weight to get down to the depth you are fishing. Just cast the little guy out and let him crawl around on his own for a little, then slowly work it back to the boat and repeat the process. The other way you can fish it is like with a Lindy rig and SLOWLY troll along structure.

Crayfish will and do work very well for largemouth as well. They work good for fishing around docks, rocks, timber, pads, and other vegetation. Depending on the species of crayfish, they will hang out in different habitats. Some prefer rocks, some prefer vegetation, just pay attention to where you catch the crayfish and fish it in the same type of structure. And remember, crayfish are not always found only near shore, there is also a lot off shore on deep weedlines, rock humps, etc.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

I usually find them under and around rocks, sometimes I set a live trap for them on a rockpile and it usually is full when I come to check it. They are pretty hardy, I usually don't have to put a new one on until a fish rips it off the hook. Adam Johnson basically said my favorite way to fish them, cast them out on a slip sinker rig and work them in very slowly with lots of pauses. Largemouths do love live crawdads too, I think the biggest fish next to the world record was even caught on one. ><>
deadeye

Do you just drag these critters on the bottom like a normal jig if you are casting them? Do they work well for LM? Are they hard to keep alive if you are tossing them around, and does that really matter? And do you just drag them on the bottom for walleyes too? And finally is it best to fish them in sand and rocks, or can a guy throw them into pads and timber?