• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DREAMING OF FIRST BACKLASH!

wormburner

Well guys, it's almost here! I almost think I've worn the paint finishes off all the new lures I've bought over the winter, from taking them out and thinking which will get the first dunk. I am counting the days. Anyone have any "for sures" for opener and what will be the "lucky bait of choice"? Over the winter months I found some decent buys on plastics,"wild thangs-air lizzards-senkos" the list goes on, also found some great looking lippless cranks and also rattletraps. I've got a couple questions and would like to hear your feedback either way. What is everyone thoughts on Quantum PT series rods, I think they retail for around $149,seen them at the sports show and I was impressed. How about Quantums *500 series reel I belive they are 5 ball bearings, they retail out for around $89 seems like a good midrange combo. Any one out there ever check out Cabelas baitcasters? I seen one in the new catalog, 7 ball bearings low pro $99, lets hear pros and cons, I know it's hard to beat a Curudo!

Thanks for the reply, I have not seen alot of guys using Cabelas reels but I know a friend of mine has 3 of their rods, it was one of those buy 2 get one free deals and he actually said they are pretty decent for the money.

In my opinion Cabelas baitcasters are the worst. I have had two of them and they burned out incredibly fast. I tried using the megaroyal plus for muskie and maybe got 6 or 7 days on the water until it started going to hell. I would stick with abu-garcias. You can't beat a c4 for bass in my opinion, and the price aint bad either.

Although cabelas has excellent service and will replace the reels if they go bad, sometimes it just isnt worth the hassle.

MB

Cabela's rod's are cheap. I broke one pulling a 3lb bass out of some vegetation. They gave me a store credit, which was very nice seeing as I bought it in the winter, had no receipt and it was august. Class acts down in owatonna, just not very good rods.

I sell the CLarus rods from Shimano and have used them before. At the 60-70 dollar price point it is a hard rod to beat, expecially since it has a lifetime warranty. Fuji guides and Fuji reel seats are on the rods. One word of caution... the actions will vary from rod to rod, one that would seem to be a MH will be like a M and like-so down the line. Some of the Clarus's will vary in taper action too. We sell a lot of them for that reason alone, stop in at a a G*lyan's store before April 13th because if you purchase a Clarus you get a free pair of Solar Bat Sunglasses. Another rod around that price I like is the Fenwick HMX, this series of rods are sensitive, lightweight, and durable. They have a 5 year warranty and I think G*nder Mtn. stocks them. Good Luck!

Ross

Thanks for the input on the rods, I would really like to buy a couple of those Quantum PT Tournament rods I seen down at the sports show, they seem like a great rod, light and good balance, but I've been checking out the Clarus and for the price a guy can get two of these. I see on your profile you fish tourneys,are you fishing the Everstart on Vermillion in june?

Although I've fished tournaments on Vermillion and done well, I'm not fishing the EverStart. I fished the EverStart last year on the Miss. River and was not overly impressed with the tournament. But 165 boats on Vermillion is what will be interesting, it fishes tight with 90... That time of year it will be a real sight to see.

Ross

Wormburner, I've fished the PT rods and reels last year when they first came out to the public. First I'm on the Minn. field staff for Cullerton, who rep for Quantum/Zebco. But that said, I really like these rods they remind me of the Browning Citori Super Lights that we use to have. I've fished both the 600 and 500 series and like the 600 series best. You have 3 to pick from E640PT (4.4:1) E650PT (5.1:1) and E600PT (6.2:1) Wormburner I hoped that helped if you have any additional questions give me a call.
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides

------------------
Wayne
Agape Fishing Guides
www.agapefishingguides.com

Man it's been great to be able to go soft water fishing now atleast once a week cause of the drive.

There's nothing like sticking fish this time of year.

The Everstart took 200 Boats. Hopefully the lake will not fish small!!