• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iron silk for soft plastics?

Does iron silk work well for soft plastics, does it float like mono or does it sink like other superlines? What pound test have people been using? thanks

Personally, I am not real impressed with ironsilk. I have tried it a couple times and I (along with a few other people I know) have a hard time getting a good hookset with it. I think it has too much strech and does not bury the hook deep enough, especially with soft plastics!

Some people have had good success with Ironsilk, I, have not. Give it a try, it sounds like good line, but you won't find it on any of my reels this year. JM2C wink.gif
Good luck! We're almost to open water!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Actually, IronSilk has considerably less stretch than conventional mono, almost 1/3 less than XT. Pound for Pound, IronSilk is thinner in diameter than regular mono and the most abrasion resistant line available.

I started using Iron Silk last year for pitching plastic, 20 LB, I love it. It hook sets great and it holds up well around docks and wood, doen't nick much.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Pherris,

The line I use depends on what it is I am doing and what cover I am fishing. For the most part, I am using monofiliment line like Berkley Big Game or XT, or a similar extra tough line. I will use a braided or fused superline if I am fishing EXTREMELY thick or abrasive cover such as docks, milfoil, hydrilla, but even then I usually use mono.

Now when I am fishing shallow, such as flipping or pitching soft plastics, I use pretty heavy line. 17 - 25 pound test typically. Sure, you can get away with using lighter line (you may also get more bites with lighter line) but when money is on the line (no pun intended smile.gif), heavier is better for me.

Say I am Texas rigging a worm along a deep (10 ft +) I will use lighter line so that I get a more natural presentation. When you use heavy line in deep water, there is a lot of water resistance on the line and that will make your lure drop very un-naturally. With this in mind, I typically spool my reels with 12 to 17 pound test.

For finesse fishing (drop-shot, mojo, splitshot rigs, etc.) with spinning tackle, I typically spool my reels with 6 to 12 pound line.

And that about covers it. For soft plastics, if you have just a few spools of line you can cover just about any situation you will encounter. Of course, there are a few special situations that will require you to fine-tune your presentation a little, but for a general guideline, if you have some 10, 14, and 20 pound line, you will have just about everything covered. Good luck, let's hope this ice melts soon!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com