• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

IceArmor Sub Zero Rubber Boots

centralmnguy

Have any of you tried the clam ice armor sub zero boots? I am on the fence between them or some muck arctic sports. FF has the sub zeros on sale for $100 vs $140 for the arctic sports. I like the idea of the easy on/off & pull handles of the sub zeros but they look taller & more bulky than the arctic sports. Is it worth the extra $40 for the mucks or are the sub zeros a good boot?

Thanks!

Have any of you tried the clam ice armor sub zero boots? I am on the fence between them or some muck arctic sports. FF has the sub zeros on sale for $100 vs $140 for the arctic sports. I like the idea of the easy on/off & pull handles of the sub zeros but they look taller & more bulky than the arctic sports. Is it worth the extra $40 for the mucks or are the sub zeros a good boot?

Thanks!

I have not tried them but I did purchase a pair of Field & stream swamptracker 1000g rubber Boot... My feet have yet to get cold deer hunting or ice fishing in them, and I have been out when it was -26. They are comfy as well and The are on sale at the big chain store that begins with a d for 89 bucks..

Thanks ZachD...I just went to their HSOforum & was able to print off a coupon for those boots on sale for $54.99. Hopefully they have them in my size & they fit good cuz thats a great price!
make sure its the 1000g they have a 400g too....

Thats a great price.... even when I forget to wear my wool socks I stay warm.. I was out at a tourney the other day and someone with 1400g boots was complaining that they were cold and couldn't believe I was not. Hope they work out for you

I've had the Muck Arctic Pros for 3 years now....best cold weather boot ever bought and still going strong. Wear a good pair of wool socks and your set....and when drilling holes, feet stay dry. I do a lot of fishing on Lake of Woods on snowmobile, will go 60-100miles a day and feet are always warm when the weather is not! Biggest key is to get a boot dryer and dry them when done for the day.

I wasn't sure of the Sub Zeros at first but then I decided to take a chance and try them. let's say I can't be happier with getting the Sub Zeros. for being insulated rubber boots they are very warm. the extra height is nice too. I was going to get the Ice Armor Onyx boots at first. from now on I won't have anything but the Sub Zeros. I unintentionally put mine to the test during early ice. I was walking out after the first snow fall of the year and there was a 10 inch hole that was covered by the snow. needless to say my foot found the hole and went in. my Sub Zero did get water over the top of it and since I had the wool socks on too my foot stayed warm and I was able to fish that day after dumping the water out. I am a believer in these boots now.

Nice boots. Still, I'd read some reviews  before buying them - everyone has their own preferences when it comes to shoes. By the way, what kind of winter do you have in your area, dry and icy or snowy and wet?

Muck boots are the most comfortable boot I've worn.  If I have to hike in any distance they for sure would be my 1st choice.    If sized right they'll not flop or chaff and being lightweight makes them great for long treks.  Huge downside is they they'll crack on you for sure if you kneel on the ice.  The lower material needs to be changed to something more flexible/less crack resistant in cold weather.

I think the cold rating is a bit optimistic but cold feet was never a problem for me.

Even with the cracks I'm still slipping on the Mucks unless I know I'll be standing in slush.  Because of that I'm also in the hunt for a new boot. 

On 2/28/2014 at 1:48 PM, DOOM said:

I've had the Muck Arctic Pros for 3 years now....best cold weather boot ever bought and still going strong. Wear a good pair of wool socks and your set....and when drilling holes, feet stay dry. I do a lot of fishing on Lake of Woods on snowmobile, will go 60-100miles a day and feet are always warm when the weather is not! Biggest key is to get a boot dryer and dry them when done for the day.

Yeah, I think mine were bought in 2009 and still going strong although I ripped one on a barbed wire fence last year but so far this year so good. I will buy another pair if this one fails.

I tested the Sub Zero X boots all last winter and have been wearing them this winter as well.  Hands-down one of the best ice fishing boots I've worn.  No laces, 100% waterproof. VERY warm, and overall very comfortable.  They do break-in a bit, so they loosen up after a handful of uses (which only makes them better IMO).  I don't spend much time inside a fish house, and when I guide I primarily stand outside on the ice all day, and these boots have absolutely been a winner in my book!  

Also, and one thing to note. the NEW model is called the Sub Zero X boot... and the older model is just the Sub Zero boot... I'm referencing the newer model Sub Zero X boots in my above testimony...