• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free range pig hunt

john_h

A friend and I are looking for a free range, no fence, pig hunt. Several days, no fenced in game farm stuff. It's tough to tell on line what you're getting into. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, or more...

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge?

thanks much!

Haven't done it myself, but I have some friends in Missouri that do it. From what I've heard, running into free range hogs is pretty unlikely. Sounds like bear hunting to me (also something I haven't done)... baiting is pretty much required for success. I also know people that run dogs after them.

Not sure what you are looking for, but I've never heard of anyone posting up in a deer stand out on some public land and shooting a hog. Well, maybe a couple times, but it was during deer season and they were deer hunting. In Missouri if you see a hog and you have the means available, it is illegal to not kill it.

Military bases down south. Lots of public land after purchasing a base pass to hunt. Ft benning GA I have seen a ton of them. I had a friend who would go out after training and shoot them on a near daily basis. Easy to find their areas they are active in as well because they tear fields up. No one I know there baited

I just returned from a hog hunt in Texas, you won't find any free range there. It's all fenced and not a lot of public land.

They do millions of dollars in damage to crops every year down there the population is over 2 million yet they fence them in and charge $300+ a day to hunt them makes sense

Yep, ranch we hunted said he has never bought a pig for the place yet has 600-1000 on his 1000 acres due to the one way fences. That's why they charge to hunt cause of the lack of public land to do so on. You might be able to find a land owner but it would probably be a lot of door knocking to find someone to let you hunt for free.

Snow geese are migratory and will have passed through in fairly short order. Hogs on the other hand are not and each sow can have 2 litters a year of 1-12 piglets each time. If you use the low ball number from the example above and go with a 1:1 ratio, you have 300 sows popping out about 10 more sows a year, each reaching breeding age at 13 month or less. I can see getting charged for a snow goose hunt, its a limited opportunity twice a year with a well defined season.

I don't think snow geese are a limited hunt, you can hunt them all the way down and all the way back up in every state and canada. How is that limited opportunity? I have hunted snow geese from Missouri into Manitoba and spent way more money chasing them than I ever would for a pig hunt.

I'd think Georgia and Alabama might be a good place to look for opportunities. As was mentioned above, they seem to be plentiful in Georgia, and no one wants them around, so I'd think free access would be a slam dunk.

I believe there are also huge tracts of public land in Georgia, but you'd have to check the regs there to determine if hog hunting is permitted in some of the big swamplands.

Florida might also have opportunities.

I've done it in Cal.Okla,Peccari in Ariz,Tx,Ark and louisiana.The public land is no where near what we have in Mn.I would never had the opportunity if I didnt know someone.I never hunted any fenced in controled shoots for $$ never would.The best chance I believe you may have would be NE Tx.Ark okla border,Near Idable Okla north of Avery Tx.Lots a open land and friendly down home back country people.Their shy of yankees at first!But pull into any one of the small towns and ask.That is what I believe to be your best bet.The online stuff wont help.

Be prepared Think of a thick stand of woods in Mn.Then triple the briars,brambles thorned brush and some poisionus snakes.See if they can turn you on to armadillos why there.Some farmers hat those digging crop robbers right along with the hogs that stay nocturnal in the open fields.

I don't think snow geese are a limited hunt, you can hunt them all the way down and all the way back up in every state and canada. How is that limited opportunity?

Limited in the sense that there is a defined season and they are constantly moving. If you have the cash to be chasing them around North America more power to you. If you have hogs in April you'll have hogs in July..Oct and so on.

We were golfing near Brooksville FL. last week, first morning on hole number 2, in the middle of the fairway were two pigs, not overly huge, but you have to figure a band of pigs would destroy a 36+ hole golf facility. The next morning we were talking with the ranger and he said they get them in once in a while, he said that morning about 7, he heard 5 "booms" from a shotgun, he figured their maintenance department was moving the pack along.....to the smoker out back

I lived in tx

Best bet is east tx public land for free range

You can get very detailed public land maps

Actually its a book with all public land with previous

hhunting success rates of all animals taken off each place. And plot details including creeks trails and more