• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for detailed plans to build a fish house trailer

CrappieDave

I have been tossing around the idea of building a frame for a fish house for a few years now. My uncles own a welding shop and have over 30 years experience. I'm looking for a detailed plan for a fish house frame. What size tube to use, the thickness of the metal, axle position, everything I would need to know. I'm thinking I would like an 8 by 20 with a three or four foot v. Tandem axle. Let me know if you have any ideas on where to get a plan or if you have one you're willing to share. thank you

I got a quote from Miltona Blacksmith for a 8x20. He said 3x3 tongue and 2x4 frame with cross members every 2 ft. Price would be $2700. Still seems I could do it cheaper myself, but who knows. Any advice appreciated.

I got a quote from Miltona Blacksmith for a 8x20. He said 3x3 tongue and 2x4 frame with cross members every 2 ft. Price would be $2700. Still seems I could do it cheaper myself, but who knows. Any advice appreciated.

Just for comparison, you'll have roughly 1000 invested in steel. Tires and rims will be around 150 each. Hubs, spindles and springs will hit you around 150-ish. If you go torsion, you'll be in the 350 dollar neighborhood for axles (each). Having bushings machined will also cost some $$$. Coupler is 20 bucks.

Paint and primer will cost you what ever you're willing to pay for quality. Toss in welding supplies....Rod, wire, argon, grinder wheels, flap discs, etc.

Then comes the time (labor).

Not trying to talk you in to or out of anything, just letting you know the costs you're looking at, ball park. I've built several frames and am toying with having Miltona build one for me for my next house as it's pretty much a wash dollar wise, and I don't have to invest the time building it.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for some advice from someone who has done it. Are your material prices retail? I should be able to get all the materials for dealer cost.

I think the next step is to make a detailed material list and price it out.

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for some advice from someone who has done it. Are your material prices retail? I should be able to get all the materials for dealer cost.

I think the next step is to make a detailed material list and price it out.

Thanks again

Dave

Don't forget about brakes and controllers.

That's a heck of a price on that. By the time you add everything up, I can't see that you'd save more than $500. I would personally look elsewhere to get that $500 back, but that's just me. There is a lot of value to your time, a tried and tested design, and piece of mind when someone builds you a frame that has several hundred under their belt, IMO.

If you have the time to weld one up…..I would go for it….I myself do not have the time and my next fish house will be made by someone else!

That really seams like a good price from Miltona.

What else does he weld there…..Everything?? and Anything?

Seems like a lot of fish house frames! grin

Also, I hope your uncles really like you, it a lot of work and time consuming. You're going to be in their debt for a long time but if you work with them you know that. $500 sounds like a lot if you're young and trying to save where you can, it sounds like a lot less as you get older. I built one with my brother about 8-9 years ago and it was great and I never had a problem, but I bought my next one .