• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spiderline, line question?

wormburner

Looking for any info on Spiderline,does anyone like this product or have anything good or bad? Right now I'm using Berkley XT and have good luck with it(I know,why change when it's working?)I've been using it in 14lb-20lb on baitcasters and was wondering what the advantage of fusion line over mono is. I was looking at 14lb test and the diameter seems real good,does the 14lb fusion line have better knot strength or is it just 14lb test any way you look at it? I know it has more feel and less stretch than mono,and how about abrasion strength,any thoughts will help thanks.

Worm,

Well I have used the Spider brand before. They are out with a new line this year called Stealth. Looks good I might have to try it. Spider Line Fusion is pretty good stuff. Almost no stretch which is nice for setting hooks. I don't believe it is as good as mono fighting fish though. The stretch is important when Bass jump outta the water as the line gives a little more. As far as Abrasion resistance it is great. Never had it fail on me. Plus it is "softer" than fireline. Well there are my two cents. Good Luck

Chev

I'm not much on the Spider- Line is use Power Pro similar. I use 50lb on all Jig rods and use mono on some other rods where the purpose fits. If I could use Braid on all my rods I would. I don't believe every situation is ment for it.

You will learn differnt bottom contents or structure change because its so sensitve. The Bonus you can be 100% positive that you will get a good hook set.

As for fish getting off it doesn't matter what kind of line your using there going to jump off thats fishing..

Wormburner,

For me in general, mono is the best choice overall. To me, "super" lines only fill a small niche in a handfull of situations. I use "super" lines for slop fishing, dock fishing and for jig fishing in EXTREMELY heavy cover like milfoil or hydrilla. Only when I really need to move the fish in a hurry or get the fish through really heavy cover or when I am fishing extra abrasive cover is when I use super lines. There are a few minuses along with the pluses to why I only use super lines in certain situations.

That being said, what is the best mono to use in general for those baits you listed? Keep in mind I am a tournament angler. I don't want fish to get away and I don't want to fight them for a long time. Meaning, you could get away with using slightly lighter pound test line than what I will mention, this is just a guideline and what I use personally.

For spinnerbaits/buzzbaits, you want a very abrasion resistant line (like the XT you already use). I use XT in 14 to 25 lb test for spinner and buzzers depending on the cover (typically 17 or 20).

For jigs, I use about the same as for spinners/buzzers. I like Berkley Big Game or XT in 17 to 25 lb test for flipping/pitching. For casting I will go a little lighter like 12 to 17 lb.

For crankbaits, you want a thin diameter softer line to absorb some of the "shock" of the hit, and to keep from ripping out hooks (that is also why some people use fiberglass rods for cranks, but I don't so I use a softer graphite rod and softer line). I like XL or Berkley Sensation for cranks in tests from 8 to 14 in most situations but will go as high as 20 in heavy cover.

Topwaters, as a general rule, I use pretty much the same as with spinners/buzzers. 14 to 25 XT works well. Sometimes you need to go a little lighter if you are using small topwaters like Pop R's, then I would recommend 12.

Worms/etc. I use pretty much the same rule of thumb as with jigs. Heavy line for pitching/flipping, lighter for casting.

This is just a general guideline. As you know, you may need to adjust slightly depending on cover, water clarity, mood of fish, size of lure, etc. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Thanks for the info Adam, I was trying to reassure my self that the Berkley XT I've been using is a good all around line,I found a great deal on Spiderline but I belive I will stick with what has worked for me in the past,the only change I might make is on my jig n pig rod,which is a Fenwick Golden Wing I currently use 20'XT and may switch to a super line just to get a little more bottom feel and also if they decide to taste test I may have a little more sensitivity. I had good luck in the past season with XT but I'm going to fish the FLW tourney on Lake Vermillion in early June as an ameuture so any extra advice between now and then is a plus,thanks again to all!

worm burner,
I have really grown to like the Berkley Big Game, Big Game Supreme as Adam does it seems to be strong, abrasion resistant, and low memory.

Both lines offer great qualities for certain situations.

I agree with Adam on the general applications, but I have some differences for my style of fishing. I tend to go a tad lighter, say 30# when others use 50#. I just play the fish a bit more gently if I'm worried about the set.

Lately though, most of my hook sets have been going through the upper roof of the mouth so I can afford to play them longer. I wish I could figure out what I'm doing differently because they never get off when they're set like that (versus in the corner of the mouth where the tissue is much softer).

I like Power Pro for braid, but Fireline is good for cutting if you like to rip exposed hooks through the cabbage. Use some body english and bow to the king when they jump or put your tip in the water to keep them from jumping in the first place.

I use Big Game Supreme for practice because its cheap but when money is on the line I like Sensation, Super Mono, Excaliber, and P-line. I prefer line with good sensitivity and I use rods with less action (mod fast vs. fast) to absorb the shock.

Traditional mono's like XT require a Samarai hook set to compensate for line stretch and I don't think I'm as good at detecting light biters on stretchy line. Low stretch allows you to set with a wrist snap or walleye set. Thinner, more pliable lines also allow me to cast farther with less effort so I'm less likely to backlash.

I'm starting to like Iron Silk on my baitcasters but the heavier weights (14# on up) jump off the spool on my spinning gear. I use 14# Sensation instead. Personally, I think a good floro leader like Seaguar or XT or Iron Silk is more abrasion resistant than any braid. Stealth looks OK but I think Power Pro has a rounder profile which helps to keep it from digging into the spool.

Spiderline Stealth...

We were able to get some last fall to test. It is Berkeley's answer to Power Pro. The big difference is that the Stealth is Teflon coated. This keeps it from fading as much as Power Pro, and seems to pass through the guides easier. We tried the 30lb and the 15lb, and it handled great, both on baitcasting and spinning. We used it in COLD water, and it didn't get brittle, and had no memory.
I would say it will seriously challenge Power Pro. I plan on using it during nest summer's T season. I love Power Pro, but I have had very good luck with the Stealth. I plan on switching all my reels over to Stealth. I/We use baitcast and spinning. It handled GREAT on both.

Glenn

The best braids are FINS PRT and McCoy , better knot holding than the rest, don't fray,better abrasion resistance , and overall outperform the rest......CoPolymers , FINS Evolution and McCoy mean green, Don't break down like the rest.....None better

Both BPS and Cabelas are carrying it. PP runs about $12 for 150 yds, and Stealth runs about $10 for 150 yds.

I would think Galyans and Gander would soon carry it, if they don't already.

Glenn

if you want to try some of the spiderwire stealth go to their HSOforum, they are giving it away for free!!!!

------------------
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Hey guys. I understand your point, and we've all had experiences where we know more than the clerks at sporting goods stores.

But our rules clearly state that attacks of businesses aren't allowed. You can certainly write about your experiences without bashing a particular store. wink.gif