• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best spinner bait and jig trailers

Whats everybodies favorite jig and spinner bait trailer? brand,size, color ect. I've been using 4in. power grubs, they work alright but they're kind of expensive plus they rip way to easily.

I don't normally consider cost. I just use whatever works. I like Kalin's 5" grubs, Berkley spinnerbait trailers, Zoom super chunks, MadMan and Power craws, Wild Thangs, Yamamoto Hula grubs . . . I understand wanting a trailer that will last and I have experimented with the new Cyber Flexxx plastics but I have not been getting as many bites as I get with my less indestructable plastics. Yamamoto's are expensive and usually only last for one or two bites but I almost always get fish with these things (usually bigger fish). As the saying goes "Can't imagine not wanting to get bit", so I will continue to throw whatever works best regardless of cost.

I have been using Zoom super chunk trailers on jigs,but someone answer this question or at least give me your thoughts? This past weekend I picked up a couple packs of Yum plastics and one was 3" craws,when I got home I had to open them and try them on a jig n pig combonation replacing the the pig side of this great combo,with the jig head resting flat,that 3" craw points upwards at a 45 degree angle with the pinchers also at that angle,looked pretty impresive to me, I've thought of this before but it seems to droop down giving it that half dead look,any thoughts? I really like that facing up deal,looks pretty lively when you add some jigging and twitch too it! Depending on the water I'm in,I like the more natural colors,green pumpkin,motor oil,or something with a touch of light orange or green fleck mixed in. As far as spinner baits or buzzers,I think it's hard to beat white or chartruse or the blend of the two together along with a natural colored trailer,but I could be wrong here also cause I'm only an ameture,but then again are'nt we all till we get the big check and the free 519?(LOL) "GOOD LUCK IN THE UPCOMING SEASON TO ALL"! wormburner.

[This message has been edited by wormburner (edited 02-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by wormburner (edited 02-11-2003).]

Haven't tried this yet, Carpguy, but this year I'm thinking about using a strip of leather soaked in cod liver oil. Cheap, tasty, as floppy or streamlined as I want it to be, and very tough.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Wormburner, I don't advise putting a craw on like that because I've tried it and I missed a bunch of hook sets this way. The craw seems to fill the gap which is great for keeping your lure weedless, but it also makes it fishless.

Some say the way to get the craw upright and get better hookup percentage is to fix the craw through the tail but cock the head to the side of the hook and pierce the lure on its side. The pincers stand up when the jig is at rest but the hook point is offset so the plastic does not fill the gap (a bad thing).

Another possibility is to use a craw worm made of Cyberflexx (which is extremely bouyant) which will give a jig the appearance of a cornered craw rearing up to defend itself. I usually just bite off the tail and thread the hollow body of a MadMan craw over the rattles on a Triple RattleBack jig. Fits snug and doesn't interfere on the set.

I may try stuffing used Cyberflexx inside the body to give it buoyancy and just let the jig lie motionless. Big fish can't stand this, they have to bite it, but it takes nerves of steel to deadstick when the clock is ticking.

For jigs, I almost always use a Berkley Power Craw. For spinnerbaits, it's a color assortment of 3-inch power tubes. Luckily, I got a great deal on some bulk Power Baits a few years back, before they came out with the tournament strength baits. Those baits tear a lot more easily than the older styles.

Jigs Jigs and mor jigs.
I prefer Zoom Super Chunks, Pork, Gene larew craws but not as much any more since I started using the chunks.
I use the craws for skipping on jigs they hold up better.

Worm burner I had a chance to throw the 3" YUM chunks last month they do catch fish any way. I don't know what to say about your idea.

Giver a good try and see if you catch any less or any more.

So much time to ponder up new ideas this time of the year.

I like to use pork. I like the durability and action they give. They are also nice to have when toothy critters decide to hammer your spinnerbait. They rarely break. The only problem is buying them different colors and sizes.