• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brule River Steelhead Opener

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't fish to long on Sunday. Decided more to scout some area's I have never been before. Fished for about 5 hours or so, never had a bite. River is fishable(but somewhat so so), roughly 6-8" of visibility, flow was cooking pretty fast. We were unable to cross the river in the area's we fished. Snow obviously has melted a lot this past week, but plenty remains. Still knee deep or higher in many areas.

Its been a fun couple of weeks on the Brule. Lots of good memories and some really nice steelhead. Somewhat bizarre with all the snow, cold water and ice. I have to say I'm ready for the snow to be gone, warmer water and fresh fish. With the temps this week barely reaching the mid 30's and snow forcast for Wednesday I might just take the next ten or so days off and wait for better times to come.

We also checked out the MN north shore and found most of the same. Water was running on and under the ice on most streams. But lots of ice and snow remain. Inland, from the lake deep snow is still the norm. Gonna be awhile and when warm weather does come rivers will get big and a period of turbulent waters will happen before they are fishable.

Anyways, keep me posted if any of you get out. I enjoy reading the reports. Good luck and be careful on the Brule right now.

Michael, the Brule is flowing at 330. There is presently 2-4 feet of snow. You aren't going to be able to cross the river safely. I would personally wait. If you go with low expectations and just have the itch you could fish, but be careful and I wouldn't fish alone.

Cj

based on the forest service gauge the river must be pretty nasty... any thoughts on when it might be fishable again? Was planning to go up 4/27-4/29 but won't waste the drive if it's not fishable... bummer too, my schedule the next few weeks is really bad. I might only be able to make a one-day run 5/12 for the rest of the spring... ugh! Sucks to have the steelhead itch go unscratched... D

Been fishing the Brule for 38 years Looks like its been holding at over 600 cfs. I used to consider it fish-able to about 320 cfs solo crossing at those levels can be considered foolish. I no longer attempt to cross if over 300 cfs. Still more snow to melt and add rain it may be awhile till she calms down. If river temps are right they may spawn and be gone when it drops and clears. Clarity does not bother the fish. Some fish trickle in during the spring but the majority of the Brule run are already in the river before winter. One of the few rivers where they behave like real steeelhead run in the fall winter over, spawn when temps right in the spring and go back out with the receding flows. There are some spring run fish but look back at the charts and you will be surprised how few there are. I have caught drop backs and fresh fish into the first week of June many times especially after a rain when fishing below the weir. Fish in the evening see no redds Fish early next morning hook a few smaller chrome fish or larger drop backs and notice fresh redds that were not there yesterday. Fish the dark water above or below the redds and pools.

so you still have a chance in Mid May just have to be on the water during low light and be versatile in your methods. I do floats with crawlers and indicators with nymphs and even toss a spinner or two.

Mwal

Well the river is blow, blowed, blowing, bowed, blowing out lol. Will there be any fish in the river after this thing calms down? I see she was almost at 800CFM on Thursday. Will the steelhead still run when it comes down and warms up or is it to late for them?

Nate - From what I am hearing last weekend was pretty good on the Brule. Now that being said, wading it at 500 cfs is fairly dangerous. It is important to know what holes you are walking into as most crosses are not an option. I have moved most of my trips over to Lake Superior's North Shore and the fishing has been pretty good;)