• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funny Bass Story

Smallie

I took a friend of mine to Lake Minnewaska for a little pre-fishing. We were fishing a real long and wid weed flat. It had celery weed on it. Reel thin stuff cause minnewaska doesnt have much other weed.

We were just fishing heavy 5/8 oz Black jigs and we were probably only flipping them 6-10 feet away from the boat.

Hit one pocket give it a few jigs nothing go to the next. I finally got a thnk on the jig I set the hook and wouldnt you know it on a jig an pig I catch a 22" walleye.

Now whats Ironic about this is when I was reeling this fish in I could see another one attacking it trying to get the jig out of the walleyes mouth. Instantly I assumed smallmouth with there agrressive behavior common when you have a smally hooked you will see smallies attack other smallies.

Anyway I tell my buddy it's smallie drop your jig down right next to the boat about 2 feet down hooks the fish and here its close to a 6lb largemouth.

I have had walleyes act like bass too. One time I was fishing rubber frogs on top of matted grass, and had a big blow-up , I mean it made a huge hole in the grass. couldn't get it to strike the frog again, so I snuck up to the hole and pitched a big jig in . A big fish slammed it right away, I horsed it outta the grass only to find it was about a 5 pound walleye!

One time I was fishing smallmouth with grubs and got into some pretty good fish, then I tied on a topwater, hoping to get some surface strikes. well the second cast produced one of the most vicious strike I had ever seen! I set the hook and held my rod tight ready to do battle with a huge smallie, instead, all I got was dead weight. I thought mabye it got off in the weeds. I pulled it in and it was about a 20 inch walleye with the plug wedged in its mouth so it was wide open. As soon as i removed the lure, the fish went crazy and fdloped all over the place. I guess the way it was hooked immobilized it somehow, and when it got free then it went wild!

WELL I HAVE A FUNNY STORY, I AM ORIG FROM SOUTH TEXAS I DIDNT EVEN KNOW WHAT A NORTHERN OR MUSKIE WAS WELL ON THE FIRST MINNESOTA OUTING I WAS RUNNING SOME SPINNERBAITS AND I FEEL THIS AGGRESIVE STRIKE I PULLED IN SOMETHING THAT TO ME LOOKED TO BE THE DISCOVERY OF A NEW TYPE OF FISH....(HMM NOW I KNOW WHY PEOPLE LOOKED AT ME CRAZY) WELL FEELING ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY AND WITHOUT PAYING ATTENTION I HELD THIS FISH FROM THE MOUTH LIKE A BASS WELL I FOUND OUT YOU DONT DO THAT YES A NEW BATTLE SCAR IM JUST GLAD HE DIDNT LIKE MY TASTE. THAT IS HOW I CAME TO KNOW THE NORTHERN PIKE

Great Job USPENAMC! I would love to see that happen to one of those good ole boys on tv sometime! Thanks for sharing your stories guys.
Here's mine frown.gifSorry, it's not a bass story).When I was about 14 or 15 I was Up North with my folks on Lake Ida (near Alex)walleye fishing. This was before everyone had all the electronics to find good fishing holes. The resort owner had told my dad of a rock pile that held walleye which you could locate by positioning yourself using landmarks from shore. Well, dad had carefully gotten us positioned when he told me (in the front of the boat) to toss in the anchor. Of course, I gave it a toss of about 3 or 4 feet. It hit the water with a pretty big splash and my dad started to cuss me out like there was no tomorrow. He was certain that I had just scared away all the fish in the immediate area. Well, my mom who was in the middle of our resort rental boat just dropped her Lindy rig straight down along side the boat with a minnow and started to slowly reel up. Sure enough, on the first offering mom had a 15 to 17 inch walleye on the line. It turned out that once the boat had settled, I had anchored us directly above a prime walleye spot. We easily caught six or eight walleyes in the 1 and a half to 2 pound range in a short time and even shared our luck with the family staying at the resort with us. (They had anchored next to us). Now some 35 years later I still enjoy reminding my dad about that little fishing adventure.

------------------
Lew

[This message has been edited by Lew (edited 01-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Lew (edited 01-26-2003).]

Another incident on Lake Ida was pretty humorous (at least to me).

Our family friend was out fishing with his wife and three daughters when he noticed a boat apparently traveling from one watercraft to another. It didn't take long for him to realize that in was the DNR checking for violations. Doing a mental check our friend realized that he didn't have a family fishing license. To avoid a ticket, everyone reeled in and they headed for shore. In his haste our friend had forgotten to pull up his fish basket that held an eight pound northern and a few keeper walleyes. Not far from the resort the basket broke free and sunk to the bottom. For the rest of that day and part of the next morning our friend could be seen trolling back and forth attempting to snag the basket with the biggest spoon he had in his tacklebox. (He was unsuccessful).

------------------
Lew

Some years ago when I was young and dumb(er) I was fishing on Farm Island lake on the east side ...........Stopped at the local bait shop and the Old lady there said blue rapalas on a 3 way swivel with 6 foot of line...Early june .We caught H### out of them 2-7lbs......Then the storm hit and the naxt day NOTHING.........I decided to give iot the old bobber and huge sucker minnow shot........Got several 9 inch suckers ...went out into the bay a bit and tossed (couldn't cast, 10 feet of line below bobber )..I got a massive backlash......Took me about 15 minutes to undo the birds-nest.......Look for my bobber and it's gone...Reel in the line and a 9lb Walleye is there....The eye had totally swallowed that huge sucker and was gut hooked.....So much for small walleye minnows for bait???????????????

I have one for ya. I went hard water fishin last Sunday at my favorite pond here in Ma. The last time I went I got so tired of running for flags that had Yellow Perch hits so when I got my bait I asked the guy for the biggest shinners he had. They were some big ones! average size 5 inches or more. I got a flag and caught the smallest Large Mouth Bass. He was only about 9 inches. I could not believe he could take that big of a shinner. Lip hooked him too. Still fun...

Cool stories -
When I lived in Vermont we lived in a cain on a 5 acre or so pond and as soon as the ice was out we started fishing it from shore. My wife was bobbering for sunnies with my 'lucky' bobber I'd had since I was 14 while I was trying out a bass lure I'd made, and BLURP her bobber goes down fast and when she sets the hook, it goes fast for a fallen tree (lots - beaver population). The bobber is long under when she pulls hard and SNAP - everything gone.

A two months later i'm working the same spot with this bass lure and I keep getting hits, but when I go to set there's nothing. I'm gettin' really obsessed with this particuliar fish and after casting at the same spot from further up the bank, the take is more aggressive and I hook it. I'm bringing in this small (1 1/2 lb)largemouth and I see a flash of orange near his head. I land him and sure enough, my 'lucky' bobber is hanging about 6" out of his mouth, with the mono wrapped around his jaw!

I carefully freed him of his burden, thanked him for my 'lucky' bobber, and let him go.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Again, Vermont, but I'm 15 instead of 30. I had given my 6 year old niece her 1st spinning reel and too her up to a great pond near our house. I was goin' bassing, throwing a black 6" rubber worm on a propellor harness and s l o w l y bringin' it in. Downright deadly on this pond. I cast out, and before I could bring it in, my niece got a big old tangle in her reel. While I was wrestling with her Gordian knot, I hear a metallic SLAM and my rod is being held against the pipe I leaned it on by the spinning reel! I ran to it, picked it up and started reeling in somethin' heavier than the usual 2 lbers I usually got from that spot, and this something fought like a mad dog on fire! I finally get it in and it's an 18" trout! Brook, Brown - I'm not sure, but it was a trout, I knew that much. It had picked an immobile rubber worm off the bottom!

I never did get that birdsnest out.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

A buddy and I fish out of a small paddle boat on a private lake in northern MN. We are both around 200lbs so the boat is only about 8 inches out of the water. I was casting a rubber frog and if the bass didn't bite by the edge of the weeds I would real the lure in fast and cast again. Well I hadn't gotten a bite and I was realing in my line and when I picked my lure up out of the water, a fish jumped at my frog and landed in the boat between my feet. Boy did I scream like a little girl. It was about a 4lb Northern.