• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jetboil Replacement?

Scott M

I know people who use the alcohol stove. Seems like a lot of work and a can opener cut waiting to happen.

I use the MSR Dragonfly because I love the adjustability of the flame. I can easily simmer or slow cook items as well as bump it up to max flame and do the flash boil if all I need is hot water.

If all you want it a water boiler the MSR Whisperlite can't be beat for price and you can cook with any size pot or pan.

I think those beer can stoves and the like are great for people that are into ultralight backpacking but not well suited for a 5 star camping dining experience wink

I would think that they take a huge hit on performance for the loss in weight. I bet my dragonfly would beat any of those things in a water boiling contest. And it would certainly win a maintain a temperature contest.

I like that dragonfly. It's small/light enough for backpacking and big enough to cook for several people, doesn't require fuel in a one time use specialized canister (I use coleman fuel but it burns white gas or kerosene or something too), and it's not a gas guzzler either.

*shakes head*

Dudes and their homemade alcohol stoves. crazy

smile

Okay, okay it's actually pretty neat stuff but, but why would somebody go thru all that hassle these days with all the canister mini-stoves available? Especially if you are just boiling water.

Funny, thought I was going to be the first to respond. wink

I might have to at least try it. I have an entry level primus camp stove with foldable wind shield. It's got my water boiling in a few minutes and generally done what I need. I think I bought it for 40 bucks.

Those MSRs are great, b.i.l. has one and we've cooked on it. But when you figure $80-100 MSRP each plus the costs of white fuel...Your oatmeal, rice and beans, and coffee water just got really expensive. I've got plenty of beer cans, 93% rubbing alcohol, and plastic tupperwares to carry these DIY jobs in.

My biggest concern is how much weight can you put on a double sided aluminum can? A small boil canister with enough water for a couple coffees, probably no problem. A whole pot of macaroni and cheese? I'd have my doubts. Guess it'll need a couple garage test runs first - maybe try it on the ice.

But when you figure $80-100 MSRP each plus the costs of white fuel...

The MSRP stings, but white gas is pretty cheap. I bet it's cheaper than pounding the walgreens for isopropyl.

That's why I have stayed away from one time use canisters and stick to a refillable canister. Those thigns adds up if you are using it a lot. I think a gallon of coleman fuel is like $10 at walmart.

I use the fire for most of my cooking, so a couple $6 disposable canisters a year is not that big a deal. I've actually moved away from white gas in stoves and lanterns(leds). Loved my Peak1 back in the day.

The reflector oven has also changed the way I plan meals.

I don't rely on fire for anything in the BWCA except for comfort or the occasional fish in foil meal. To me if you need to place your can stove in a tuppoerware and bring a bottle of alcohol along, you've eliminated all the arguments except for cost.

I've got the same quart bottle of stove fuel that I bought probably 4 yrs ago. I did try the MSR fuel and it did burn a little cleaner, but I didn't htink it was worth the extra cost. White gas/coleman fuel works great in all 4 seasons and I can double its use as an emergency firestarter.

I guess if you were truly going for ultra light and ultra cheap, I think the Esbit stoves are probably the right combination, but again, you don't have any control over the flame.

We use a coleman peak1 for making coffee, although we have cooked ham and scalloped potatoes on it in a pinch. We have also taken a classic coleman two burner stove if there was a likelihood of a fire ban.

If I was buying one now I would get the dual fuel (white gas/unleaded gas) version.

A trangia 25-8 would work nice. A Bushbox stove would work too. A trangia stove with a clik stand or a westwind stove stand.

I like the trangia 25-8 with the Trangia Alum Cook Pot w/ Lid ( the larger of the two so the trangia 25 will fit inside). You can add the Trangia gas burner later so you can use the same fuel as your jet boil. Get a extra trangia burner and Evernew Titanium Alcohol Stove Cross Stand for a extra burner.

Your a little late. Two years ago it was the Hinepot and redbull atomic everyone was making. The super cat stove is a good home made stove for tea kettles. I just orderd the Snow Peak #1 kettle, I think it will do a few cooking jobs for me.

Good luck

For thse who don't know. The best fuel for the alcohol stoves is heet fuel line deicer in the YELLOW bottle or denatured alcohol.

A wind screen is a must.

google" hiram cook" and watch his youtube stuff.

I agree with Comit on the choice of fuel. The yellow bottle works best. I used a jet boil type of cooker on steroids when I ran sled dogs. The object wasn't cooking food but heating water for the mutts to drink and to thaw the meat they ate. It did come in handy though when throwing a bag of pre cooked but frozen food into the hot water to thaw. I'm no longer a fan of white gas, too many flare ups and close calls. I used to swear by the white gas stoves but now I lean towards the one pound propane cylinders. I wish they had a way of recycling them. Don't even get started on how to refill them yourself, illegal and just plain stupid (if you understand basic physics).

Do the new tanks (10lbs and up) allow for refilling small tanks. You need to tip the tank you are fueling from upside down. Will the new tanks allow fuel to come out in this position.

I'm in physics right now. Just finished fluids, solids and gasses. Phases. ????

Quote:
What do you guys think, worth a try? Anyone try it?

I have been playing around with these and they do work well. The one thing to remember is to put the small hole in the top half. I used a thumb tack one my first try and it was not big enough. when the alcohol got hot and started to vaporize the pressure built up inside the stove and pushed the fuel out of the burner making a flaming mess. I made the hole larger with a cork screw(1/16 Diameter or so) now it works fine.

I did all testing in the kitchen sink. Water will put out an alcohol fire.

Coors light beer cans (Silver Bullet) make a nice looking stove.

Do the new tanks (10lbs and up) allow for refilling small tanks. You need to tip the tank you are fueling from upside down. Will the new tanks allow fuel to come out in this position.

I'm in physics right now. Just finished fluids, solids and gasses. Phases. ????

You need to be sure the tank you are refilling was designed to be refilled. Those 428 gram tanks are not designed to be refilled.

If you are going to try anyway please do it outside, away from open flame.