• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4Lo and Stuck

I have a 2002 Yukon XL. Got stuck yesterday ice fishing. Only two wheels would spin. It was in 4 Lo. Buddy said he heard of applying the brakes so it would "fool" the truck computer so all wheels would engage. Worked like a charm. Anybody else tried that before?

4lo does nothing functionally more than 4hi other than use a lower gear ratio.

The reason you only have 2 tires spinning is because most modern vehicles do not have a limited slip in the front or rear end. If you do have a limited slip or even a locker in the rear you may get 3 wheels spinning. To get all 4 wheels to spin you need to have traction aids in both axles. Otherwise power will go to which ever tire moves most freely.

The reason applying the brakes helped is because you slowed the free spinning of the tire with no traction. EIther is slowed it enough that it gained traction, or by adding friction, the power went to the other wheel and that wheel powered you out. You did not "fool" the trucks computer because the truck cannot deliver power to an individual wheel.

We had shoveled alot so I'm not sure applying the brake was the sole reason it didn't spin the two wheels but once the brake was applied it walked right out of the drift and just previously it was spinning the two wheels. Even after all the shoveling. I'm pretty sure there is a more accurate term than "fooled" but it was the best I had.

An open differential will always send power to the wheel that has the least resistance. In simple terms, all that is actually happening is the brakes are putting an equal amount of resistance at each wheel so the differential believes that all the wheels have equal traction, so torque is then divided among all wheels equally and the ones that actually have traction will pull you out.

Fooled is the paraphrased version of this: Thanks Macgyver

An open differential will always send power to the wheel that has the least resistance. In simple terms, all that is actually happening is the brakes are putting an equal amount of resistance at each wheel so the differential believes that all the wheels have equal traction, so torque is then divided among all wheels equally and the ones that actually have traction will pull you out.

I just used this recently. I broke through a snowmobile trail so I had hard pack in front and behind me. I was stuck worse than I have ever been. I tried shoveling, pushing, the usual. Eventually my tire chains had dug 6" down into the ice. I remembered this trick, had someone push, and just pushed both petals. I have limited slip front and rear, but it only works so well. I'm not sure what you would do if you had a standard transmission...