• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleyes baits, whats working now?

tunrevir

Just curious as to what baits are working for folks. I have had outstanding luck with VMC and Buckshot spoons this winter but have experimented with a variety of other baits and techniques as well. I caught a few fish on chubby darters, a few on ripping raps and rattle raps and have been experimenting with these swim baits on a weekly basis and am gaining confidence in their ability to trigger and attract fish. So, what is working for you? Is this a go to bait that you always drop down the hole? Are you having success because this is the primary bait you rely on? One of the techniques I have used this year is working between three rigged rods with different style baits or color patterns and have found that oftentimes, you can trigger those reluctant fish with a quick color change or bait style change.

Tunrevir~

being you are from the area and fish forest than i'm sure u already know but most the eyes seem to come off the red glow buckshot, also fire tiger long spoons!! It seems once you get there attention they smack the **** outta it!! a 24" is the biggest i've got this year which is respectable for forest! Nothing to constistant though as we have only picked up about 8 walleyes, all over 16! I've been focusing on crappies this season, as we have been able to get some real monsters, still trying for the elusive 18" crappie!! Hopefully when it gets a little warmer and the people have to pull the perms off!

For years, while perch fishing on Mille Lacs, had always caught non targeted walleyes off tiny tungsten jigs and small crappie minnows. Understandably not an ideal set up as the hook and gap was pretty small, but this year both clam and jb lures have come out with some "larger' tungsten, with larger hooks and hands down has been my go to. The low profile and finesse capabilities of this type set up is hard to match, especially in neutral and negative patterns. It is kind of like using the fallback hook and splitshot, but with the ability to jig and get fish to chase. Also can use this set up for more than just subtle approaches….. just last night…. the waldos we were on were digging the fall, just started ripping up about six feet, creating a relatively slow fall tumbler, and the eyeballs were coming in like a freight train. Another really nice thing about these is that you are not ruling out other fish as well…….last night could have brought home 4 kind of jumbo jumbos, a limit crappies and walleye, as well as earned the title of the rock bass king…..all from one simple lure.