• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall Bass Fishing

Pherris

This is the first year I have fished for bass so this is my first fall fishing for them. I did pretty good most of the year fishing plastic worms. The last few trips out I have not been able to catch any with worms so I am wondering what pattern is recommended for fall fishing? Some people I have talked to say the bass fishing is over for the year. I will have my boat out for a few weeks yet and am wondering if I should keep trying for bass or back to walleye where I know the fall pattern. Any comments or advice? Thanks

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 10-19-2002).]

Early October to mid October is usually hot bassing in the shallow weeds in the Northland as the bass binge before cold water. Once the water cools, they drop back off the deep weed edges and secondary drop-offs. Not knowing which lake you fish, I don't know when that change happens, and it's based on water temperature, so it varies year to year. On the lake I fish, they get less active when water temps fall to the lower 50s.

If they're feeding in shallow, spinnerbaits seem to be the best overall lures, because the fish are active. I do well with plastics in summer and early fall, but poorly after September. A bass jig/grub, jig/pork, jig/powercraw seems to work pretty well for fish once they move deeper as the water cools. If you can't find fish in the cabbage on spinnerbaits, try deeper with the jig, and move it slowly.

Good luck,

Fall fishing can be really hot and cold.. pun intended...

Look for GREEN weeds, if you can find the deep endge where there is green weeds you may find a school of fish.

Much of the shallows are barren but you may be able to pick up a loaner feeding but you are better off fishing a deeper spot if you can find the green weeds.. Look for inside bends in the weeds also, the fish seem to pull off the points and go to the areas where the bars turn rather than the points.

I was out on South Center the other night for just an hour, air temp was in the upper 30's it was cold, but I got 4 fish smallest was 16.5", largest was 19.5"
All caught on a homemade jig and Exude craw chunk!

Best of luck!