• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

iPhone question - transferring files

LMITOUT

Is it possible to move a file that I've received via email to a PC that doesn't have internet access using a Lightning->USB cable? Another stipulation to this problem is that no software can be installed on the PC to facilitate this, either.

Just plugging the iPhone into a PC will only allow you to transfer photos, unlike an Android where the file management is a lot more robust.

Another option would be to move the file from the iPhone to Dropbox, open the file on Dropbox using my Android phone, and then doing the USB transfer to the PC but I'd rather not have to juggle two phones for this.

I found a hardware solution which is a flash drive that has a Lightning connector on one end and a USB connector on the other but it costs around

$200.

So, is there "an app for that"?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I searched for "iphone transfer file to pc" and found this

Quote:
DiskAid is an iPhone file transfer software available for PC and Mac in 10 languages that gives access to the iOS file system using a USB connection or via Wi-Fi. DiskAid transfers music and video from any iPhone, iPod or iPad right back to the iTunes library or any location on the computer.

DiskAid also transfers text messages (SMS), contacts, notes, voicemail, call history and voice memos to computer. It enables to use your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch as an external mass storage device and with an iPhone file browser like FileApp installed, files and documents can easily being accessed on the device.

You have an iphone. itunes is where apps are. There seem to be a bunch of apps to manage and transfer files between a pc and an iphone. But the iphone needs itunes to download and install the apps. It is the exclusive app source for an iphone.

I am not sure what your problem is at this point.

No, the PC requires iTunes for that app you posted to work...as does most of the other file transfer apps I've found, and I can't install iTunes on the PC that I need to transfer files to.

From what I've found it looks like I need to jailbreak the phone just to get access to the file (which is complete garbage thanks to Apple).

I've found lots of people asking the same question that I did, but haven't found any real answers yet. Most don't seem to comprehend that there are PC's out there that don't or can't have internet access.

If you jailbreak your iphone, apparently you can install "USB Drive Cydia", an app that turns the phone into something that looks to windows PCs like a 'mass storage device' (without iTunes).

If you can't or don't want to jailbreak the iphone, then I don't think it's possible without some intermediate step like moving it to that overpriced usb lightning stick or to dropbox and a second phone.

[edit: looks like you are already aware of the jailbreak version, I must not have read the whole thread before I hit 'reply']

Yeah, it was either that or use Dropbox. Either way it means having two phones. I'm not that up to speed on all the Apple apps or tricks so I was hoping there was a solution out there. Working with an Apple device I should have known better.

No, the PC requires iTunes for that app you posted to work...as does most of the other file transfer apps I've found, and I can't install iTunes on the PC that I need to transfer files to.

From what I've found it looks like I need to jailbreak the phone just to get access to the file (which is complete garbage thanks to Apple).

I've found lots of people asking the same question that I did, but haven't found any real answers yet. Most don't seem to comprehend that there are PC's out there that don't or can't have internet access.

I looked at the site and it isn't clear to me that the pc needs itunes. I wrote to ask them. I'll let you know what they say. Bound to be some sort of app that will do it.

So this is a hypothetical situation? Face it, iPhones suck when you need to do anything logical.

Email it to your Android and plug in using the USB cable. Drag and drop. A lot easier than what you're doing right now!

Nope, not hypothetical. Right now I have to drive to the office, download the file to a stick, then drive back to the site where the PC resides. Run some simulations, put the resultant file back on the stick, drive back to the office, email the file from my desk PC. Possibly repeat. No, it's not the end of the world doing it this way...I was just looking to be more efficient. I was hoping there was an easy solution that the Appleheads might know about but apparently not.

Apple fails again.

Internet accessibility is so prevalent these days hard for some to acknowledge it just isn't there. Not to mention there are some systems that require such old Operating Systems you have to squirrel away hardware that will work with it(not saying that is the case here)in the event there is a hardware failure.

Last hospital I worked at had a lab analyzer that the controlling PC had to be windows 95. We tried using a VM but had so many problems getting the serial connections to work properly had to give up and go back to hardware that would work with "95".