• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger size? jiffy propane auger questions

fishcast

been a while since i've posted.... anyways, I'm planning on picking up a Jiffy propane auger very soon and I'm just debating which one.

I plan to do quite a bit of very very large pike fishing like out on Sakakawea and some other bigger predator fishing, but a lot of the time I'll be fishing panfish etc where i'd rather not lug a bigger auger (frequently drill many many holes if need be) and have no need for a giant hole. I'd kinda prefer a standard 8" but i'd hate to be losing gigantic pike at the top of the hole and shoving my arm in the water down to my shoulder to grab the fish to pull it up through the hole isn't preferred either. I think I'd rather not have a 10" just cause its so huge, and fishing multiple holes in an ice shack it would just be too much i think, and losing gear etc etc seems like it'd just happen way too much with the 10". So.. I'm thinking of splitting the difference and going with a 9" blade. Also, how would it work if i ever bought a 6" jiffy auger for just hardcore panfishing and cutting lots holes and had it available to swap onto the jiffy with the bigger motor (like the motor for the 9 or 10")? it might be nice to have a smaller auger option available potentially down the line....

I think the jiffy augers have a bigger motor on the 9" and 10". I'd like to hear opinions on a jiffy 8" pro, 8" pro lite, versus jumping up to the bigger motor and 9" or 10". Currently I'm thinking the 9" jiffy pro but i'd like to hear some opinions....

thanks for any thoughts!

Fishcat,

You can do some forum searching and find plenty of Ford Chevy reviews. I will answer a few for you. I run both the Pro-4 and Pro-4 lite. Both in a 8" auger. Pro-4 comes in a 6", 8", 9" and 10". Pro-4 lite comes in a 6" and 8" ONLY. You can not run a 9 or 10 on the lite. Each auger has its place. I know your thinking 9" but I would think about that. Most ice scoops, slush inhalers and auger bit holders are very easy to find in a 8" or 10", 9" is odd. If you do a quick search on the record pike that was released it came through a 8" hole. The motor size on the pro-4 is the same for all auger sizes. The pro-4 uses the stx cutting system and the pro-4 lite uses a single chipper blade. difference is $80 vs $35 replacement cost. The come with a 2 year warranty on the blades, transmission and motor. I will tell you straight up the first auger I grab is the Pro-4. I think I covered most of it for you but drop me a PM if you have any further.

I think it also matters what you are used to. All my augers have been 10". I fish panfish often and will many times drill a minimum of 30-40 holes in a day. I now have the pro-4 and despite the statistics do not really notice the weight difference between it and my old 10" two stroke Jiffy. But then again big augers are all I know.

I went through the same questions years ago. I decided to buy a 10". When I went to buy one they were out of 10's but had a 9". I was itchy to buy one that day so I bought the 9". I have had it for many years and love it. I have never regretted buying the 9" and I do have a slush inhaler in a 9" too. Great combo.

According to the Jiffy HSOforum, the weight difference between the 6, 8, 9, and 10" models is minimal..

•Clean - No gas

•No gas smell on your hands

•No Smoke - Can be operated indoors

•Quiet - 4 Stroke engine is quiet but powerful.

•E-Z Start - No priming, no choke, no flooding, and has mitten grip handle

•Low Maintenance - No mixing of fuel

•Low Emissions

•BEST of Class - WORLD Class!

•HTT (High Torque Transmission), Jiffy®'s proven heavy-duty clutch and optimum gear ratio, transfer more engine energy for additional torque

•Stealth STXTM - Serrated RipperTM Blade and Power Point Blades last 2-3 times longer than other blades on the market, cutting 25% faster. The STXTM Blades have a 2 Year Limited Warranty.

•Best Warranty in the Industry ... 2-2-2 Year Limited Warranty - 2 Yr Engine; 2 Yr Transmission; 2 Yr STXTM blades

•Easy SnapTM Blade Protector

•Ideal for Initial Drilling and Redrilling of Ice Holes

•Available in 6", 8", 9" and 10" Drill Assemblies

•34 - 36 pounds depending on drill size

I have never owned anything but a 10" auger. And personally, I can't understand why people hate the 10"? Don't get me wrong, you can easily land most fish out of an 8 or 9", but a 10" sure can make things easier imo. I'll glady pull an extra 5 lbs on the sled for this convenience.