• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More pickled eggs

Very much a rookie at this so trying it out. Did some with beet juice last year and loved them. This time trying this. We will see in 5 days or so if they can be eaten. lol 95 seconds to peel 10 eggs ! lovin the tack.

1 cup vinegar cider

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 TSP canning salt

1/2 TSP tabasco

2 TSP pickling spice

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 medium onion

1/2 red pepper

full-27930-42380-dsc_0825.jpg

yes, boil it then simmer 5 minutes. Pour over the stuff in jar and screw cover and lid on. into the fridge and it will seal. Boiled up 10 more for the smoker and peeled them in just over a minute! lol having fun seeing how fast they peel.

I made a jar of pickled eggs last weekend. Its going to be a long couple weeks waiting for them to be ready. In the meantime I need to plug the smoker in and try some smoked. After trying the poking a hole in the egg thing anything with hard boiled eggs is so much less trouble.

I have done this several times with good results. If you make pickled fish, after you finish off the fish, put hardboiled eggs in the remaining pickling juice. Leave them alone for as long as it suits your taste. Usually a week or two is enough. Very easy, taste great.

ok

I like the pickled eggs & have been trying to give them some heat with no success. tried several different peppers & nothing. any ideas?

Try this stuff... I've ordered several kinds like Jalapeno, Serrano, Habanero, etc. I think a concentrated powder mixed into your brine will be far more effective than a raw pepper. I know it worked well for my pickled fish.

Good advice, McGurk wink

@hockey, where do you get buffalo powder? Sounds good!

@minnesotathorn, I think you'll be pleased. When I ordered my powders they even threw in a free sample of something else entirely which I appreciated...now I'm a fan of chile de arbol flakes, as well! I use my chile powders in everything now and I get a consistent heat from very little product. If it's helpful, all the stuff I got was in a Ziploc style bag. I transferred them all to Glad cylinder containers with screw on tops for easier storage then used the ID sticker from the bags and taped them onto the tupperware. Let us know how it works.

PS, if you think a little jalapeno juice on your finger that you accidentally rubbed your eye with is bad...try getting some residual powder in the ol' eyeball! Wash hands well, repeat, repeat after using this stuff! cry