• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pflueger President

Juan Grande

The price is good. If it was up to me, I would not buy this reel at all due to its weakest point--worm gear drive. If you are gonna be throwing a lot of jigs, Texas rigs or Carolina-rigs a lot, I would find a much better reel with stronger worm gear drive.

Again, for each to his own, it is your money you want to feel happy buying--do not let the negatives take you down. You can buy this reel at a basement price right now. Then you can always upgrade better parts to make the bait caster last longer than you want for an extra cost. So, you are not really losing out anything. smile I do have 10 baitcasters and love them all because I have the upgraded parts in all of my baitcasters. Good luck getting this reel, Juan.

The price is good. If it was up to me, I would not buy this reel at all due to its weakest point--worm gear drive. If you are gonna be throwing a lot of jigs, Texas rigs or Carolina-rigs a lot, I would find a much better reel with stronger worm gear drive.

Again, for each to his own, it is your money you want to feel happy buying--do not let the negatives take you down. You can buy this reel at a basement price right now. Then you can always upgrade better parts to make the bait caster last longer than you want for an extra cost. So, you are not really losing out anything. smile I do have 10 baitcasters and love them all because I have the upgraded parts in all of my baitcasters. Good luck getting this reel, Juan.

I have a President, and I don't even use it any more because the worm gear went bad at least once a year every year. I am NOT a fan of Pflueger baitcasters...nothing but trouble with the ones I've owned. They cast like a boss, but toooooo many breakdowns.

Thatone, you said it best. I personally do not own any Pflueger baitcasters but have seen some fishing buddies who have them. They have the same issues you went through. They had to upgrade the worm gear drive, spool (Japanese aircraft mod-crazy!) and bearings. I did not see the logic of spending 150-200 bucks in upgrading Pflueger baitcasters. Yet when it comes to their spinning reels, they are pretty good and useful.

I bought 2 Trions at the end of last year for $50 a piece. Figured for that price the risk wasn't too high. Used them about 2 months or so and haven't had issues yet, but I know that isn't enough time for a true test.They been decent reels so far. They are similar to that President, but maybe less bearings and a different spool. What part of the worm gear is going out? The part that the pawl runs on or something inside where it is being turned?

There should be more than a few different reels with sales coming out. They always have to clear out the old models to make room for the new models!

Parts availability WHEN they break is often an issue with Pflueger reels. I had a buddy who used to buy them because they were cheaper than Team Daiwas...he got what he paid for.

Yet the funny twist is, they are owned by Pure Fishing. So, any of the Abu Garcia reel parts interchangeable with Pflueger or am I missing out some information here I am not aware of? Any infos would be greatly appreciated.

It may have changed recently, but Plfuegers were not necessarily produced by the same manufacturer from year to year despite being owned by Pure Fishing. So to find a part for a reel was a real hassle as recently as about 4 years ago. I don't know if that has changed, but I wouldn't risk it...

Reel parts are rarely interchangeable across brands, or even models within a brand unless it is the same frame and drive train. Just because it says "Daiwa" or "Shimano" doesn't mean that the parts will swap out. These are just my experiences though.

I highly doubt that the parts are exchangeable... Just because they are both owned by pure fishing.

Revos, Lews, Browning and several other manufacturers reels are all produced in the same South Korean factory and the internal parts are almost completely interchangeable.

I highly doubt that the parts are exchangeable... Just because they are both owned by pure fishing.

Thanks for sharing your insight, Deitz. Very much appreciated with the information I seeked. My apologies for not getting back to you sooner due to hectic schedule I handle with college load as well as bowling commitment.