• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

nightime action

I've caught four over 5 pounds. Two of them came at night. One on a buzzbait shallow and another on a spinnerbait.

Did you catch yours just now, this fall? It's not as common to catch nighttime bass in fall, when the water is colder.

In lakes where there's lots of daytime activity, whether fishing or boating or jet skiing, or whatever, summer night bassing tends to be better than day bassing.

Best bait for me on summer nights has been a two-bladed black spinnerbait tipped with a dark pork frog. Blue and purple work just as well. Dark bait shows up better as a silhouette against lighter night sky, double blades make more racket, frog makes profile bigger and adds scent.

I fish almost always in the shallows at night, where bass are in to feed, so I keep the bait high in the water so the bass can see it better, with a slow to medium retrieve and rod tip held high. Careful you don't jerk it out of their mouths when they hit, it's easy to do at night when you're hyped up. Wait until you feel the weight of the fish.

Post us with more of the catch details. How big was the fish, what time of night, type of lake, what bait, when, etc? Always interesting to compare notes.

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

well the bass was probably like you said 5 pounds and we fished with small daredevils that were red white i think they were feeding on shiners the lake was pretty cold and yes this friday is when i did this the lake probaly doesnt go deeper than 27 feet so it was pretty shallow

Sounds like a typical October largemouth feeding binge to me. Once the lake temps drop below 50 on the lake I fish (they were in the mid 50s first week of October), the bass really start to slow down. I've caught a few ice fishing though, especially when I use little sunnie jigs and waxies.