• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mtheis

Loading round balls in a 30-30.

The shooting range I frequently go to only has a maximum distance of 25yds. I have been looking for a way to shoot my deer rifle at targets to keep my skills up and do it cheaply. I have a box of Hornady lead round balls with a diameter of .310 and thought of the idea of using them in a 30-30 with a small charge of Unique gun powder.

Let me tell you its been a blast! They are really accurate as well. There is no recoil so anyone can shoot them. To make up these "gallery loads" do what I did:

1) full length resize your brass

2) open up the neck with a Lyman "M" die so the round balls arent deformed inside your brass

3) prime the cases with any large rifle primer. I found that using pistol primers wouldn't burn all the powder in the case

4) load with 6.6g of Unique.

5) lube the balls with Alox bullet lube and press

them into the opening of the case with a board

6) lightly remove the flared case mouth with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

This was really fun and shows that reloading can open up for you many possibilities!