• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Boats

Chev_trucks501

Hi All,

Looking for some information on Bass Boats. Been looking at them for a long time and have decided to get one...but which one?
Have looked at the usual... Ranger, Triton and Nitro. Any other suggestions? Tell me what boat you have and why you like it. I am leaning toward Nitros so far. Also I have heard that Bass Boats do not do well in rougher waters? Any info would be appreciated, Since I have never owned one before. Thanks Alot.

Happy Fishing smile.gif

I also fish from a Cajun and am also a fan of the boat. But Flipnripem, Cajun went out of business years ago so you won't find anything newer than a mid-90s Cajun (if memory serves me correct).

Chev_trucks501, take a good look into the waters you fish and the best fit for your boat. Some seem to handle the bigger, rougher water better than others.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.totalbusinessware.com/guide.html

Hey Thanks Guys,

I guess I'm not looking to get a 20ft Boat. Just a hair too big for me. But is an 18'6" really that much better than a 17'6"? Trying to justify spending the extra bucks for a foot of boat? Cajun seems to be a good boat anyone else out there with an opinion? Can you go wrong with a Bass Boat?

Thanks Again.

TJ

Thers absolutley a huge difference from a 17ft boat to 18.5 ft boat with no questions asked. I used to own a 17ft ranger you talk about getting beat up. I own a 461 Ranger now and its a night and day difference.

I have been on some rough waters with this boat and it has always been a smooth ride. Have been on Millacs in some nasty weather, never would do it in a 17ft boat. If you have the money buy a 20ft thats a cadillac for riding in.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

I have fished out of quite a few models of bassboats, and I can tell you from experience that for speed, handling, smoothness, and fishablility, NOTHING beats a Triton boat. Titon is the number 1 selling glass boat in the nation, and almost nobody in Minnesota knows about them. Down South Triton is everywhere! I fish out of a 20 foot TR-20 and it is by far the best boat I have been in. I can hit the mid 70's with all of my tackle and four batteries in the back. It corners like nothing out there (try doing a sharp turn at 70 mph in a Ranger, actually, DON'T try it, it's dangerous)but no problem in my Triton. Smoothness, I've been in some BIG waves on Lake Vermillion, Lake Champlain, Lake Ouachita, Lake Pepin all with no problems, dry and no sore back (try that in a Nitro or a Skeeter). Fishability, huge front and rear casting decks, the boat still sits close enough to the water so you don't have to lay down to reach a fish, tons of storage, very big livewells, the list goes on and on. Duribility, 100% wood free! NOTHING to rot or weaken the boat. The stringer sysytem is one piece and is matched perfectly to the hull so there are no weak spots or spaces. A Triton boat will last a lifetime. Then there are all of the little extras Triton adds. I'll list a few: a resetable circut board (no more box full of fuses), standard pro-trim (trim is located at the steering wheel, it looks like a little turn signal), Max air Venturi system on all livewells the list goes on and on.
Like I said, I've fished out of just about everything out there and I have yet to find a boat like my Triton. At least test dive a Triton before you buy anything else. I am sure you would want to take it home.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, I am just really passionate about Triton and am very pleased with the work they do.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Besides on maybe Minnetonka, Mille Lacs, or the river [PoorWordUsage] would you need to go 70mph across water? That's something I don't get. Sure it makes more sence down south where they have big resivors only and all about the size of Minetonka.. but pulling that on a 500-1000 acre lake? Nutz. I laugh at the guy in the ranger who accerates to that speed than has to stop right away.. and my 14' with a 20hp Johnson pulling about 30mph winds up taking me 20 seconds longer than him to get to the same spot-- and I bet it's a lot easier on the outboard and a lot more fuel efficent. This is Fishing afterall.. not Nascar! Enjoy it! If I ever got a bass boat I'd sell the orginal motor and slap something between 60 and 90 hp on at and look at all the odd looks I would get for doing so wink.gif Don't need a 200hp engine unless it's going on a 22'+ boat!

Crawlerman,in a tourney ,especially on those smaller lakes,the first one to the spot gets it. And you aint doin that with a 60HP.

Adam, I fish out of a Skeeter ZX202,it has a great ride. I like the Skeeter over the Triton cause it seems that Skeeter carries more of the beam width all the way to the front. It doesnt seem as narrow on the front deck as the Triton, maybe its just an illusion I dont know.
Everyone has their favorites,but I agree with you on the Ranger(barge) :-)
I'm due for a new boat myself,I'll take your advice and check out the Tritons also.
Good Fishing!

Basser,
Last year I ran a Skeeter. It was smaller but I liked it. It ran nice and I thought it was a smooth ride (that is until I drove a Triton). I am not sure about the width of the front deck. If there is a difference, it's probably only a matter of an inch (which can make the difference for some people). For me, I spend most of the time in the front portion of the front deck where it starts to get narrow no matter what boat your in. It's all a matter of personal preference. Some people really care about how much room is in the compartments, how much beam a boat has, how big the front deck is, etc. I personally care more about how a boat runs and how comfortable it is to drive than I do how much room I have to dance around on the front deck smile.gif.
Give the Triton a try, you won't be disappointed wink.gif. But no matter what boat you choose, as long as your on the lake catching the best fish in the world (bass of course!) that is all that really matters in the end. Good luck and tight lines!

------------------
Adam Johnson

Thanks Adam, I will definitely check them out!By the way- when do you get rid of your tourney boat? I remember last year when you sold the Skeeter,is it a yearly deal with Triton?

Basser,
My boat is for sale as we speak, but it is not available until March. It is a 2002 Tr-20 with a 2002 225 Merc EFI. Single console (can be made into a dual console, consult local dealer), 36 volt Minkota 101, Lowrance electronics (X-91 in bow, flasher and LCX-71 at console), Aqua Innovations Oxygenator in both livewells (extremely cool item, if you haven't seen these check them out), and other extras. I'm selling for $26,000, retail without extras is $33,000.

I am on a yearly deal with Triton. I get my new boat in March. By the way, the Rev-up wrap can come off, the finish underneath I think should be in excellent condition and I think it is mostly white with black/silver flake and silver pinstripe. I think it looks pretty cool.

And yes, if anyone is interested, they can e-mail me at [email protected].

------------------
Adam Johnson

Chev-> I think what most people missed here is this.. and I didn't read every post, so I appoligise if someone mentioned this. Go and check out all the dealers and ask for a test drive... Tell each dealer you are looking to buy and tell them to sell you on why their boats are best? You will decided after riding in all the different boats and looking at what comes standard on each what you may want to add on another boat.

I personlly own a Triton, I liked the ride, I liked the storage... The frint deck is a little smaller than some, but you have to take some good with the bad.. decide what is most important to you...