• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

eating saltwater

Most of the people I know and fish with don't keep/eat any of the species they catch. I have eaten Mutton Snapper and Snook (not much) Amberjack and Grouper too and they are fine. Had a Barracuda pizza one time years ago. Not much!! Of course I expect you know about Redfish and Seatrout (which are not trout). But the most unusual fish dish I've eaten from tropical waters was smoked Marlin. Very very good. But it was not smoked by me nor would I ever think of keeping one of them.

Generally the snapper family is eaten routinely-but there are a LOT of various snappers, and Groupers.

Before you kill something and drag it back to the dock ASK a local which fish are edible in his opinion. And then remember it's just his opinion.

Thanks guys, wife has decided on Cancun, with a half day deep sea fishing. I'm thinking better bring some fishing equipment. Sounds like some of the beaches are topless, may snag something. grin Good reason to spend a whole day at the beach, watching all the college girls cry PLEASE come nibble on my ________. Must start a major fitness work out. An old fart like me could get too worked up, die and have all my fishing equipment givin to my brother-in-law. I just hope I go down smiling, grin

HA, Well that sounds like a good time Jim.

If anyone ever gets down to Gulf and wants to do a little explore and fish, there is a walk bridge/pier connecting to a little island down in Boca Grande. Good chance you have a porpoise chasing your catch back to you. Pretty neat shore spot for multiple activities.

full-46366-42340-screenshot2014_02_05at9

If you are going to take a half-day charter for offshore stuff do not bother taking your tackle-they will have what you need. If you were going to fish for several days then it might make sense if you have special tackle to handle those fish, but otherwise it's just a hassle to pack it around. If you think you'll do a LOT of beach or shore fishing grab a three-piece heavy spinning rod and reel from the boys in Owatonna or Rogers and load it with some tough line and some wire leaders.

Have fun. Don't stick your hands near any fish with teeth. Don't pick up a small shark by the tail. Do not drink water and do not use any ice that does not come from a good source.