• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

If you care about the MN moose please click the link and proceed to scratch your head as I did.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/8299888-high-tech-research-targets-moose-mortality-mystery/

RIGHT FROM THE DNR:

Quote:

Data collected during the first nine months of the DNR's moose mortality project has given wildlife researchers an unprecedented view into the lives and deaths of Minnesota moose.

In many instances, researchers know what killed a particular moose. From locations transmitted by high-tech GPS collars, researchers have watched an animal's movements in the days and hours leading up to its death. For a select group of moose, researchers were able to observe fluctuations in the animals' temperatures as injury, trauma or sickness occurred and life slipped away.

As yet, there isn't enough data to answer with certainty why Minnesota's moose population has dropped 52 percent since 2010. And it's far too early in the study for researchers to even consider possible solutions that might slow the precipitous decline.

Science is a slow process. Data must be collected during the course of multiple years so variations in weather, habitat, physiology and behavior can be factored in. Collected data must be analyzed and compared. Only then can likely causes can be determined and potential solutions offered.

DNR researchers do know that 88 of the 100 adult moose collared in winter 2013 still roam northeastern Minnesota. Only 10 of the 34 moose calves collared in May survive. Researchers have retrieved most of the dead animals from the field and subsequently determined the causes of their deaths.

More adult and newborn moose will be collared in 2014 during the second year of the project. Additional funding for a third year is being sought so this first-of-its-kind study can continue. Without the information and insight the study can provide, there is little hope that these massive and majestic animals will continue to be a source of awe in Minnesota's north woods.

Please note the printed version says only 12 of the 100 died, but the graph says that 19 died. Nice proofreading of the propaganda. Three quarts of the calf deaths and over half the adult deaths come from wolves. REALLY?!?!?! Do we even need to proceed with another expensive study?? And they act like they have NO CLUE what is going on. Trying to blame it on weather too?? Give me a break. There little study has ZERO "weather" deaths. THE TWO BIGGEST KILLERS OF THE MOOSE are THE WOLVES AND THE DNR. Hope you wolf loving fools are happy.

full-40170-42241-adultmort.gif

full-40170-42242-calfmort.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an interesting study to me, pretty tough to come to a conclusion after only one season,and our tax dollars have been wasted on far less important studies than this.

Have you ever thought of applying for DNR commissioner? Sounds like you could step right in without missing a step.

I think there is overlap in the 19 dead vs. 12 dead. I went to a seminar where they explained that they try to have 100 adults currently wearing collars. The 19 dead may include moose collared at other times. "88 of 100 collared in 2013 currently alive" The data may include moose which were recovered but collared in 2012. I agree that it is contradictory but I don't think that this shows, somehow, that all of the data is then bogus.

And I don't think the data can be used as is and this soon to directly come to terms with why their numbers are declining. A stressed population and individuals will be more vulnerable to predation. Liver flukes, winter ticks, changing weather patterns all might be playing a part in weakening moose. I don't see this as a waste of money. I see it as a genuine attempt to understand why our moose population is failing.

If this were a private company doing research as to where money their is being lost/wasted the 'study' would be O.V.E.R. The only way this 'study' continues is when someone elses money is being spent.

More importantly what do YOU suggest they do about this crisis??

If this were a private company doing research as to where money their is being lost/wasted the 'study' would be O.V.E.R. The only way this 'study' continues is when someone elses money is being spent.

Unlikely. Usually private companies in the research game employ scientists that take a methodical approach at asking the question.

Bucky,

Since you have found fault in this study and feel no need for it to go any further, please explain to us your take on the situation and what needs to be done to fix our MN Moose population..

What do you think my answer will be??? I might as well not say it since it will just get deleted or my post will get altered.

Quote:
What do you think my answer will be??? I might as well not say it since it will just get deleted or my post will get altered.

Oh come on now quiet being a poor sport, throw your ideas out there, you provide us with other peoples graphs, charts, timelines ect. but id'e like to hear your ideas..

Yeah, other wolves.

I fail to see in the data you provided where that determination can be made. IMO to get more accurate information a full autopsy should be done to determine if there were any other underlying factors that "allowed" the wolves to kill them.

Dont get me wrong, I am a firm believer that wolves have an impact, but in order to make sure the wolve huggers do not cry foul with the research, they better cover their bases really well.

I am a firm believer that wolves have an impact, but in order to make sure the wolve huggers do not cry foul with the research, they better cover their bases really well.

right on. when a new lawsuit is filed every year it seems to put them back on the endangered list, it should be nice to have a study such as this saying why they should be kept in check.

Hate to break it to you guys but the true answer is....Wolves, Wolves and Wolves.

The Minnesota study shows it (first rendition)...We all know it. Same thing is happening in Idaho and Montana with Elk herds in certain areas. Why waste the time and money?

Calves are being killed/eaten - there is nothing bringing up the rear so to speak as far as the population diversity. All the remaining animals are older adults or few young adults that made it past the teeth of the wolves.

Please note, I am not saying "destroy and hunt the wolves to zero".

I have said it before.....I like the wildlife diversity of everything Minnesota has to offer - wolves included. I got them around my where we live and deer hunt. Kinda cool seeing them from time to time.

Now if they get into my 3 labs, I'm sure my opinion will change - as I have seen the number on what they do to hounds out West in Idaho...not pretty.

We just have too many (wolfs) and they need to be thinned and kept in check....hence, we had our second wolf season in Minnesota. I think we need to keep at it for a while.

I dont think nor trust what the MN DNR says about the wolf population in MN. In 1989 they said it was about 2,000 animals. Two years ago, they said it was about 2,500. So in 23 yrs, the wolf population only went up by 500 animals. Really? C'mon now!

Unlikely. Usually private companies in the research game employ scientists that take a methodical approach at asking the question.

At a minimum, 60% of the moose killed this year were by wolves. If Best Buy (for example) finds out that 60% of it's losses are coming from one area, how long until they take corrective action? Not very long.

At a minimum, 60% of the moose killed this year were by wolves. If Best Buy (for example) finds out that 60% of it's losses are coming from one area, how long until they take corrective action? Not very long.

I generally use statistics and whatnot to support my scientific conclusions. I don't have a copy of Best Buy's corporate operating protocol at the lab bench. Just saying.

Wolf population up - moose population down. Natural Resources 101 at any college would teach them this ?

Wolves will have a tough time with a healthy adult moose, but the calves are a primary source of food.

I guess many would argue that along the Northern Tier - wolves have knocked back the whitetails to the point that they need to eat moose.