• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How does one find a weed line without a camera?

1eyeReD

There are a few ways I do it. The easiest is to find it in the summer and mark it on navionics. With a vexilar, you can see bottom, and any other things above that are weeds. Once you see weeds on a vex, it makes perfect sense. Just drill every 5 feet until a hole doesn't have weeds. try around it, because it could just be a clearing in the weeds. There is rarely a clear cut line at a certain depth. It varies around the lake, and there is often some scattered weeds past the weed line. My favorite method is simply to pull my jacket over my head and look down the hole. This way I can even tell if they are brown or green weeds.

Start shallow & drill every 5 feet as 20lb noted...take a heavy jigging rap & drop all the way to bottom...jig a few times & see if you snag any weeds. Keep going every 5 feet until you don't snag anymore! All them hooks on a jigging rap you should have no problem snagging bottom. Most lakes the weedline ends or thins out at 13-18 fow...as a general rule of thumb.

There are a few ways I do it. The easiest is to find it in the summer and mark it on navionics.

That's what we do mark stuff in the summer and use the gps later on the ice. We also look at Google earth, you can go back in time and view old pics of the same area. The small lakes we fish are used for irrigation and drop in the summer. We like to mark weed lines and channels to fish later.

With a vexilar in 10' or less I use low power mode and turn the gain up a smidge to see if there are odd flashes on the bottom as I drop the ducer down. I don't fish weeds often but when I do I use this tactic.