• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Recipe

Here's my Mom's fish recipe, I am willing to bet you haven't had fish prepared this way!!!!

Ginger Scallion Steamed Fish

1 1-2 lb. whole fish (we like sustainably sourced sea bass, striped bass, trout or walleye)

3 scallions slivered

1 large finger of fresh ginger root matchsticked

1/3 cup of grape seed or canola oil

2-3 T of light soy sauce (we like Golden Mountain Seasoning)

Mama Wong says, “steam the fish directly on the serving platter, or on a glass Pyrex pie plate.” Place a small metal steam rack into a large stock pot, and fill the pot with water just to the top of the rack, bring to a boil. Place your fish with the serving platter or pie plate on the rack, and steam for 10-15 minutes.

While the fish is steaming, sliver the scallions and matchstick the ginger. When the fish is cooked, remove from heat. If the fish was steamed on Pyrex, transfer the fish to a serving platter, and top with the scallions and ginger. In a small saucepan, heat the oil until it just smokes. Carefully pour the hot oil over the aromatics and fish. There should be plenty of sizzling! Finish the dish with the soy sauce.

I do something very similar only I put ginger and green onion in the cavity, and lightly oil the skin. I don't have a fish steamer so I put the fish on a oversize piece of foil, on a rack in a pan. I start it off in the oven uncovered for about 15 minutes, then turn the fish, add some liquid and fold and seal the foil for another 15 minutes.

DSC04474d.jpg