• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spinnerbaits

hey i want to know if you guys have an opinion on spinner bait size for big bass ive been using small spinnerbaits for two years and i have had luck with them small is about 21/2 to 3 inches long round bladed spinners and they have caught me quite a few big fish
thanks a heap

I've caught three bass over 5 and a ton over 4, and most on spinnerbaits. I always use the larger bass sizes (not the musky giants), and vary the skirt colors from black to white to blue/white to chartreuse and mostly, in the lake I fish, crayfish colors of orange/yellow/brown. I fish with single round blades or double blades. Warmer the water, bigger the blades and faster the retrieve. I also tip them with Berkley powergrubs in matching colors. Some days a steady fast retrieve above the cabbage/coontail tops gets 'em, other days I run it along and let it drop in weed pockets and they hit on the fall. At night I use a black spinnerbait tipped with a dark pork frog and double blades. I fish it slow and steady so they can get a good line on it, and if there's a moon out, they can see the black bait really well from below, silhoutted against the lighter sky.

Some guys go with smaller spinnerbaits when the water's cold, but I generally go with smaller plastics or small cranks then.

I usually just buy Northland spinnerbaits. They're cheaper than alot of the big mucky-muck bass tournament brands the pros use, and they work great. No $6 titanium arm spinnerbaits for this guy.

Have fun.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 09-13-2002).]