• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plastic Organization

Presco

Like most bass fisherman, I have bags upon bags of soft plastics that litter my tackle box, my wife assigned "fishing box" and my boat. Its annoying to go through all my stuff before each outing and figure out which ones I want to bring on a given day.

So, question is how do you folks store/organize your plastics? Do you bring all your bags, only the ones you want to use, do you have a organization method for keeping more plastics on your boat or at least to have easier access to the ones you want?

I've noticed some of the Elite anglers keep their plastics in tubs, but I've always worried mine will dry out and become unusable if I did that.

Ideas appreciated.

I like to use plano boxes and buy in bulk. I leave lots of baits in bags on peg board in my shop and bring the boxes of baits I plan to use for the day with me. I have the boxes broken down into categories like chunks/craws, stick worms, tubes, brush hogs, etc. It makes it quick and easy to find the bait I need and allows me to keep the baits I'm using readily available.

i throw mine into 2 gallon hefty bags while still keeping them in their original bags seperated by categories. i also bring all of them on the boat. youll never know when you need a certain soft plastic for a given situation.

I put them in plano boxes by type.. Craws in one, 4" senko type in another ect ect.. I then keep the bulk(I buy in bulk whenever possible, or when on sale buy 10-20 bags of kinds I use most) I keep the bulk in plastic containers in my garage on the tackle wall. Then just re-stock the plano boxes after each trip as needed.

The organization of plastics is a struggle that we will all fight. I use plastic totes and organize them by profile or style, I also mix in my goto baits into their own box. It seems you have to find your own way to do this properly. I start organized but by the 4th of July my boat has stuff scattered everywhere. I know where everything is though lol.

After trying just about everything under the sun from binders to bags to planos... I keep mine in the original packages, and keep the packages in 6 qt Sterilite storage totes, which you can get at Family Dollar or something for like $1.99/ea. Bags fit in them perfect, and they're nice because they can also hold bulk bags for stuff I buy in 50 or 100 ct. bags.

I take the totes, and with the lid on drill a couple holes through the lid and the lip of the container, and use zip ties to make hinges. Learned that trick from someone on here (Hester maybe?) and it works great. Don't lose covers anymore..

I organize them more or less by type, and keep the totes in a locker. Then I have a deep 3600-size Stow Away I keep on my deck with a few bags of the usual suspects plus whatever I think I may use that day. I restock from the totes when necessary.

Of course, I also have plastic filing cabinets with drawers in my office at home with more bags yet... It's a sad deal.

Here are a couple of pictures of what RK is talking about (which I copied from someone on the board as he mentioned) It is a $2.50 clear plastic container from Home Depot and you drill/poke holes in the lid and side panel and secure the top with wire ties... I organize by brand eg.. Culprit, Havoc, KVD, etc. Sure makes it easy to find what I am looking for..

a>

I use the 1gal ziploc bags like others to store them in with their original package. I label the bags by bait style and store them in a carrying bag(an old hunting bag). Not the best, but works ok. I always find myself thinking if there is a better way to store them though. It is amazing how heavy plastics can get when you put them all in one bag!

My wife grabbed the "plastics bag" when we headed on an outing this year. She asked what the heck is in here, it is so heavy? I said plastic baits and worms. She just shook her head and said a four letter word with "ing nuts" at the end of it! Maybe she had a point, but I figure you can never have enough plastic baits on board!

I keep plastics in the original bags and in gallon freezer bags by type. I mounted the cheap plastic drawers from Sterilite on shelves in my garage and keep the gallon bags sorted by bait style in each drawer. The boat sits next to the shelves like a dock and I can reorganize the boat without getting in and out.

In the boat, I try to travel light. A couple Falcon bags with the typical baits needed and I am good to go. I also have a storage lid system in my boat but it sucks in big waves and long boat rides.

I like keeping all my plastics in the original packaging as I don't like mixing different scents, smells, etc. Also it seems that when they get mixed together they are more susceptible to stick together and/or dry out. I use 2 large Plano XL boxes for all my plastics which is ALOT of plastics to carry but they are all organized they way I want it. I also have a small plastic bin that I use as a day box which holds the stuff I will be using the day I fish.

RK, I would like to take the credit for that but I believe it was Hellabass that posted a nice video on how to do that.

By the way RK, if your paying $1.99 for anything at family dollar, your getting ripped off.

I target bass sparingly. Glitter boats and southern drawls were never my thing.

I still managed to accumulate an avalanche of worms, grubs, creatures, tubes, lizards, sticks, and other assorted soft plastics and rigging accessories from when I was a kid.

Maybe you guys have 20X as many as I have or need, but I managed to stuff all of mine into one of the better binders I've seen:

I store mine in plano boxes also, AND have a wall in my shop ( well most of the time it's my shop!) where I hang the extra on peg board. One 3700 holds most of my bass plastics, but if I put all the plastics for bass, panfish, walley, crank baits, and spinner baits together I have quite a stack of planos!! I have separate tackle bags to carry most of these or store in the boat.