• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BDawg23

Lowrance HDS Gen 2

I am looking into purchasing the HDS Gen 2 touchscreen. My question is in everyone's opinion is it worth the extra $ to get a 12" unit in a graph like this? I could see it maybe in the quad layout but that is a huge graph and am looking for input from people who have or don't have units of this size. Thanks.

Bigger is always better.......with that being said it all depends on how much $$$ you want to throw down. IMO a 12 is unnecessary at the console since the graph is usually less than 1ft from your face. I think the bigger graphs are better suited at the trolling motor where 98 % of your time is spent.

Big is better but you won't catch any more fish with the 12 than you would with the 9. The 7 gets small fast when splitting screens more than 2 ways.

The only thing I have heard about the touch screens is they get really gunked up after a day of fishing. Think of your smart phone, but with fish slime and pop/beer, etc all over it. The guy I talked to said he preferred to have the buttons of the regular Gen 2. Just one guys opinion.

Thanks for all the input. I defintitely think it would be advantageous to have the large graph at the bow but the 12" is so massive so it's hard to imagine having a screen that large.

I have a 12 touch at my console and a HDS8 Gen2 at the bow. Get a 12! they are awesome. They dont get any dirtier than any other screen. The best part about the touch screens is that each size has its own resolution, which is obvously higher than the smaller models. Compare that to the Gen 2 ones where the 8 and the 10 have the same resolution. So your taking the resolution of the 8 and stretching it across the 10 screen size and the resolutuion is worse. Not the case with the 12. Biggest screen, best resolution.

So is the Lowrance touch as amazing as it looks in the demo? I checked it out at the boat show and seems far superior the the Hummingbird with the overlay features and ease of use.