• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley power shred

rascalP

Has anyone else noticed in the last 2-3 years how berkley power plastics rip and tear? I used power for many years, loved em, talked them up, bought every shape and size- but it seems like since they came out with the tourny strength, they tear up even pulling through weeds. I figure the brainwizards thought to reformulate the plastic to break up easier. Tear easy,use more worms, buy more berkley. This year I swore off buying power worms and started using more Culprit and Zoom. Guess what-- bass eat those too! And they last 3-4 times as long. I will admit I squirt some juice in the bags but I'ld rather do that than puttin a new plastic on every other fish. Curious if anybody else has had similar experience.
rascalP

Ive noticed the same thing. The more scent and salt put into a plastic bait makes it softer and easier to tear. Look at the Yamamoto senkos, they are good for only one maybe two fish tops,and at $6 a bag that adds up in a hurry. I have also started using Culprit worms,much tougher but no scent added. I took the bags and dumped in Kick n Bass and guess what, scented worms now.

Hi Guys,

Yep the Berkley Plastics are definately different. Although I know a rep (pure fishing) and he insists that the formula has not changed... Anyway I have also switched to Zoom and Culprit and they work great! Just thought I would add my 2 cents...

You people might be a little hard on berkley. I have never experienced the problem you guys have had. Maybe its the way you hook them?? Anyways I love em' because they can catch fish when other plastics cant. Just my opinion.

fishin'frenzy

[This message has been edited by fishingfrenzy (edited 08-12-2002).]

i have noticed this also. culprit and zoom with some scent tears less easier and works just as good. i think that berkely changed something about them. just thought i'd show myself sometime.

------------------
catch big fish!

Fishingfrenzy, I think the $6 referece was about Yamamoto baits. Those babies sure catch fish, but they will break the bank.

I have a question for those who have complaints about the Power Bait. I too have noticed baits that seem to tear easy, but I can't tell if it has been a recent problem. I see that the complaints have been about the tournament strength baits, how about the origional? Is the same problem being seen with the origional style baits. With todays market wanting ultra soft, realistic feeling baits, I would not be surpised that Berkley baits are softer than they used to be.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

Adam,
I started noticing the difference first on the tourny strength, then I switched back to the so-called original and still notice it.
I have some leftovers of old 100 packs -- pre-tourny strength and there is a definite difference. Also they quit making some of my favorite styles like the 4" thick bodied grub. It's not all bad because I used to ONLY get berkley - now I check out alot others and have found new favorites. But I won't buy anymore berkley till they prove to be tougher. Sorry I have a hard time believing the rep, but would welcome his input to the post.